Cheeseburger Macaroni in the Instant Pot: A homemade “hamburger helper” dinner ideas that can be quick for a family meal using items that you may even have on hand!
Hey there quick meal idea lovers. I’m right there with you, hence the reason I finally took the plunge and bought the Instant Pot.
After staring at my pantry the other day, I decided I wanted to experiment a little bit with the Instant Pot, and now you’re looking at the result. After we realized how quick and easy it was, I knew I had to share it with you.
I wasn’t sure if I’d ever like another “cheeseburger” dinner as much as we love the baked cheeseburgers but this dish is an amazing easy dinner idea when the comfort food craving calls!
Cheeseburger Macaroni in the Instant Pot
Not only is there a ton of flexibility that you can have with this recipe, but the ease of throwing it all together was also my FAVORITE part.
Answering Your Cheeseburger Macaroni Questions:
I haven’t tried this, but I don’t see why you couldn’t substitute it. I’d just make sure to use about 10 oz. of Velveeta (cut up into cubes, like we did in this Rotel Dip, and maybe add a little bit of milk — maybe 1/4 cup??? – guessing here) since the canned cheese is a little more liquified than the block cheese. If you try this, let us know!
Want to use frozen beef? You totally can, because I do too! I typically either forget to thaw it out, or I decide at the last minute to make something with it. I made this using frozen ground beef, although provided directions for thawed beef too!
But when I’m totally on my game and remember to thaw ground beef out naturally, you definitely find me making The BEST Cheeseburger recipe, where I use browned butter and basic ingredients/methods to make them the juiciest burgers I’ve ever had! So if you were on your game today, or just snagged some ground beef from the grocery store, you may want to make this cheeseburger recipe too!
Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
Now, I LOVE a good boxed, Hamburger Helper dinner from the grocery store. But what I REALLY love about this recipe is that it’s similar, super easy… (no, everything doesn’t come in a box) but the flavor of this dish is waaaay more powerful!
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- Kielbasa and Cabbage in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Pot Roast – Even using a FROZEN roast!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- How to Cook Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- Sweet Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Easy Cheeseburger Macaroni Recipe…
When sharing this recipe with you, I’m keeping in mind that a lot of you may desire a different level of seasonings and spices and I want to keep it as easy as possible.
So expect this to be a very basic recipe that could use extras spices and flavors… or cheese. You can NEVER go wrong with adding more cheese!
However, here are a few things I’d suggest doing additionally to really add flavor to it so it doesn’t come out bland.
Items to Add to Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Garlic Pepper (It’s my absolute favorite, to sprinkle on to the top of each serving, but not for my kids.)
- Extra shredded cheese on top of each serving is a MUST in my book.
- Add milk after cooking if you prefer it more creamy.
- Salt and Pepper as desired, but remember… you can always add more, but you can’t take it out.
- Sour Cream (Reader Suggested)
- Hot Sauce – I haven’t tried this yet, but I could definitely go for this on my serving.
- Can of diced tomatoes and green chilies! (Reader Suggested)
- Bacon or bacon bits for super easy additions! (Reader Suggested)
Left Over Cheeseburger Macaroni?
If serving this leftover, you may want to add a little milk to it before reheating, just to recreate a creamy texture.
I so hope you love this recipe. We ate on this for a couple of days and I’m already looking forward to making it again because it was so quick.
This recipe is not only a great family dinner idea to meal plan with, (get your meal planning printable in the home management binder) but it serves as the perfect dish to deliver to someone in a meal care package to eat on for a few days!
Maybe just send along a little extra milk too, so they can add a bit to enhance the creaminess when reheated!
If you’re into quick and easy recipes, then you’ll LOVE to blog the recipe archives here on the blog, OR make dinnertime insanely easy, and grab my “Fabulously Fast Dinners” cookbook where I’ve done all of the dinner time planning for you!
More Comfort Food Recipes
If you love comfort food, then you’re in the RIGHT place. Here we believe that food is love. So when you either want to show yourself some love, or making something comforting for someone you love, then browse our favorite easy to make recipes!
But I’ve picked out some of our favorite comfort dishes here…
This Cheeseburger Casserole has all the flavors of a cheeseburger but in a dish that’s perfect for a family weeknight meal, or even a care package!
30-Minute Taco Pasta Recipe – This 30-minute Taco Pasta Recipe makes the perfect weeknight dinner! If you are a busy mom looking for a simple, quick, and healthy recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes, this taco pasta recipe is for you.
Chili Mac Recipe – In less than 30 minutes, and a few simple ingredients, this chili mac using ground beef, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, elbow macaroni, and cheese, will soon become a new favorite spin on a chili recipe! But similar to chili mac, this slow cooker goulash recipe is always a great choice!
Cheeseburger Macaroni in the Instant Pot
- 1 lb lean ground beef drain after cooking if using a fatty beef
- 16 oz elbow macaroni uncooked
- 10.5 oz can of cheddar cheese soup
- 3 cups broth chicken or vegetable (Recently updated from 2.5 cups to 3)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper as desired
- garlic pepper seasoning optional
- If ground beef is frozen, pour 1 cup water into the Instant Pot, put on the lid, make sure the valve is on “seal”, and select 25 minutes on “high” manual mode. Ground beef should be fully cooked before moving forward.
- If starting with thawed ground beef, turn the “saute” setting on and cook the ground beef, garlic powder, and onion powder until beef is no longer pink.
- Next add in broth, elbow macaroni, can of cheddar cheese soup and salt/pepper if desired.
- Lock lid and close the valve to “seal” and cook for 4 minutes on manual “high” setting. The pressure cooker will take about 5 minutes to seal, 4 minutes to cook and then quick release the valve to let the pressure out.
- Add in 2 cups of shredded cheddar and stir until melted.
- Divide and sprinkle on remaining shredded cheddar on to each serving, for extra cheesy goodness!
- Tip: Get creative by sprinkling on seasonings like garlic pepper seasoning, hot sauce, and anything else that you love, to add more flavor!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.