Chicken Street Tacos: Done in a flash and packed full of flavor, here’s how to make a recipe that you’ll remember the next time you’re ready for tacos!
It is NO secret around here that tacos and taco bars are a favorite of ours. I’m ecstatic to have Meg here again today, sharing a DELICIOUS recipe with you!
Hey there! Meg here from Meg’s Everyday Indulgence with another delicious recipe to share. These Chicken Street Tacos are customizable, simple to make, and sure to become a dinner staple.
More Delicious 30 Minute Meals:
Ingredients for Chicken Street Tacos
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (make a large batch of chicken in the slow cooker!)
- Olive oil
- Taco seasoning
- Small corn or flour tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Queso fresco
- Sour cream
- Any other taco toppings you love
What is Queso Fresco?
Queso fresco is that crumbly, slightly salty white cheese you see on authentic street tacos. It’s creamy, yet crumbly and adds the perfect touch to these tacos.
You can find it in the dairy section of your grocery store. Sometimes it’s with the cheese and sometimes it’s in a section with authentic Mexican ingredients.
If you’re unable to find it, you can substitute a Mexican blend shredded cheese or pepper jack.
Chicken Marinade for Tacos
Thinly sliced chicken is key to making this recipe quickly. You can either buy chicken cutlets or cut your chicken breasts. Boneless chicken thighs would also be great in this recipe since they tend to be juicy!
Grab 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut each one widthwise so that you end up with two thin pieces of chicken per breast.
Whisk together olive oil, taco seasoning and lime juice in a bowl and add the chicken to marinate. Leave in the marinade for 30 minutes to an hour.
How to Cook Chicken for Tacos
There are several ways you can cook the chicken for your chicken street tacos.
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
My favorite way is on the grill. It provides that charred flavor which I really love in tacos.
Stove Top Chicken
If it’s too cold out to grill, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken in a little olive oil.
Because the chicken is so thin, it will only need a few minutes per side to cook through. You can use a meat thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature to ensure the chicken stays nice and juicy.
Baked Chicken Street Tacos
Or, you can always bake your chicken if that’s what you prefer. This is a great baked chicken recipe!
Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into bite size pieces.
How to Heat Tortillas
First, choose what kind of tortillas you want to use.
How to Heat Corn Tortillas
For me, corn tortillas are the way to go with a street taco but use what you’re family loves most. Or have the option of both available.
When using store-bought tortillas, I like to warm them before serving.
You can either wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds or wrap them in foil and place in your oven at around 200 degrees while you’re preparing the chicken.
Keep them wrapped until right when you’re serving dinner. This will keep them warm and soft. You can even buy those tortilla warmers they use in restaurants to keep them warm if you wish.
You can also char corn tortillas over the grill or your gas stove. Hold them over the flame (using tongs) until the edges are charred. Flip and repeat on the other side.
How to Build a Street Taco
Lay down your tortilla of choice. Top with chicken, a spoonful of pico de gallo and some crumbled queso fresco.
Drizzle with sour cream if desired and enjoy.
Additional Topping Options:
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Charred corn or corn salsa
- Pickled onions
…or check out the free printable, “Taco Topping Ideas” for more, out-of-the box ideas!
Love easy chicken recipes? Then you’ll LOVE these chicken fajitas!
Chicken Street Tacos
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 lime, juiced
- 18 street corn or flour tortillas
- pico de gallo
- crumbled queso fresco
- sour cream
- Filet the chicken so that you have 4 thinly sliced pieces of chicken. In a bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, taco seasoning and juice of lime. Add chicken and toss to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, until warmed through. Wrap in foil then place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the hot skillet. Add chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Dice into small pieces.
- To assemble: lay tortillas on a plate. Top with a spoonful of chicken, pico de gallo and crumbled queso fresco. Top with sour cream, if desired.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Thank you so much Meg! I just love it when you share your recipe creations here and so do Fantabulosity readers! See for yourself, on the reviews of some of their favorites: