This Easy Chilli Chicken recipe is a DELICIOUS Indian dish that you can make at home in under 30 minutes!
So I’m ashamed to admit that I’m in my mid-thirties and I JUST NOW became a fan of Indian food.
I never really had a desire to try it until my husband told me that he fell in love with it, and a few months ago I decided to take one for the team and broaden my horizons with my tastebuds.
WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING! I’ve been missing out all along, and feel like I’ve wasted my taste buds for YEARS without having Indian food!
How to Make Chilli Chicken
Well with my new-found love of Indian food, I had been hearing so much about
Quick & Easy Chilli Chicken
So most of the chilli chicken Indian dishes out there are really complex with many ingredients that are hard to find.
But here on Fantabulosity, we only believe in quick and easy recipes that STILL taste delicious. So you’ll find that you can make this Indian dish in under 30 minutes!
How to Make Chilli Chicken
You’ll find that this recipe uses basic, everyday ingredients that you may even already have on-hand, or can easily pick up at the grocery store down the road.
You’ll start by frying your chicken pieces, sautéing vegetables and then combining spices and condiments to create the rich, flavorful sauce.
Indian Chilli Chicken Recipe
Now because I believe food is love, I believe images of the recipe process tell the love story.
But you can find the full recipe and ingredients list at the bottom of this post!Jump to Recipe
If you’ve never had
Breaded Chicken + Egg Mixture
When prepping the chicken, you’ll combine the flour, garlic powder, and
In another bowl, whisk together egg, soy sauce, and chili sauce.
Then, you’ll dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then toss in flour to cover. Set aside. Repeat steps until all chicken pieces are breaded.
How to Cook Chicken for Chilli Chicken
Fry those chicken pieces for about 5-10 minutes until golden brown and cooked throughout. (Don’t those look like the insanely delicious chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A?)
Next, cook the onions and green peppers for 3 minutes, then add garlic and green onions and cook until vegetables are tender.
Combine the Veggies, Chicken & Chilli Sauce
Once veggies are tender, add the chicken back to the skillet and in a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, chili sauce, ketchup, and 2 Tb water, and pour over the chicken.
TIP: If you want it to be saucier, then you can add an extra tablespoon of water at the end!
Stir and cook an additional two minutes…
…and serve over rice.
If desired, sprinkle additional chopped green onions on top for some added flair and enjoy!
The chilli chicken was a welcomed challenge. There were soooo many versions out there and it was difficult to determine what direction to go in. Some of the highest rated versions were really complex with many ingredients that were hard to find. I know that is not what your blog is about! So, I simplified it as much as I could and came up with a chilli chicken recipe that is very approachable and can give your readers a semi-authentic Indian inspired meal at home in under 30 minutes.
For the Chicken:
- oil for frying
- 4 chicken breasts cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon chili sauce
For the Stir-Fry:
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 green onions
- 2 medium onions
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- Combine flour, garlic powder, chili powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, soy sauce, and chili sauce.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then toss in flour to cover. Set aside. Repeat steps until all chicken pieces are breaded.
- Heat pan in oil until it reads 350 degrees on a candy thermometer. (Usually, medium-high heat.)
- Fry chicken pieces until they are golden brown. About 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oil and place on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath.
- In a new skillet, heat 1Tb oil for stir fry. Cook onions and green pepper for 3 minutes, then add garlic and green onions and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken back to skillet and mix together the chili powder, chili sauce, ketchup, and 2 Tb water, and pour over the chicken.
- Stir and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve over white rice.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
If you love quick and easy recipes then don’t miss these reader favorites;