It’s the secret ingredient in this simple banana bread recipe that makes it so moist and so delicious. Plus, it’s easy, quick, and an addictive recipe you’ll make over and over.
Bread recipes are one of our favorite recipes to bake but this banana bread is the BEST and is now a favorite in so many kitchens!
Photos Updated: November 2018!
- Why You’ll Love this Banana Bread
- How to Make Banana Bread
- How to Make this EASY Banana Bread
- Buttermilk Substitute
- Banana Bread Batter
- How Long to Bake Banana Bread in Oven…
- How long does banana bread last?
- How to Freeze Banana Bread
- More bread recipes like this one that you’ll love:
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe
Why You’ll Love this Banana Bread
- It’s the secret ingredient, buttermilk (or substitute with a combination of lemon juice and milk), that creates a moist, flavorful banana bread.
- It’s classic and flexible. You can add your favorite additions if you want something other than regular banana bread. For instance, chocolate chips, nuts, and blueberries are DELICIOUS in this recipe!
- It’s a great way to use up bananas that are turning brown!
YES! Using too much banana can make the bread soggy and too dense. This recipe calls for only 3 bananas (about 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas).
If you have bananas that are not ripened but you want to make banana bread, place the bananas, still in the peels, on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 300° until they turn black. See my tips on how to ripen bananas in the oven!
How to Make Banana Bread
I’ve made this recipe using regular loaf pans and mini loaf pans. Honestly, it doesn’t matter to me which way I make it because it’s delicious either way. However, if making in mini loaf pans, you’ll want to bake it for less time.
Mini Loaf Pans
The first time I made this, I knew I wanted to use the CUTEST little mini loaf baking pan so I knew I need to adjust the bake time.
If you’re using a mini loaf pan (since all can be different) just start checking the middle after about 20 minutes of baking, and remove them when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Regular Loaf Pans
My oven cooks SUPER fast, so I had to be cautious when it came to baking this banana bread. So where I had to bake my banana bread in regular size loaf pans for 40 minutes, it may take anywhere from 40-55 minutes for your oven.
Periodically check with a toothpick until the center comes out clean after about 40 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: Since I used two different pans, they both cooked differently too. One pan was much thinner than the other, so that loaf of bread finished before the other.
How to Make this EASY Banana Bread
Start with RIPE Bananas
I’m not going to lie. When I see at least 3 bananas on my counter that are starting to turn a little brown, I get a little too excited.
I despise eating bananas by themselves. But turn them into banana bread, and you can’t keep me out of it.
For this recipe, start with ripe bananas.
Don’t worry… if you need to make it NOW, and the store only had underripe bananas… it’s ok. I’ve been impatient before and still make it. It turned out just fine! But see my tip above for ripening bananas if you want to!
I truly believe there’s an ingredient in this banana bread recipe that makes it so good, and moist. Buttermilk. Yes, really!
Don’t have buttermilk on hand, DON’T worry! In a small dish or bowl, mix together 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice! Works perfect every time!
Banana Bread Batter
With a mixer, mix together the butter and the sugar.
Next, add in the mashed bananas and the eggs.
Pro Tip: Throw your bananas into a Ziploc bag, seal, and mash them with your hands through the bag or with a rolling pin!
In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, baking soda, and salt.
Next, fold in the dry ingredients, alternating the buttermilk (or milk and lemon juice) with the flour.
Once that is mixed, you’re ready to add to your desired, greased baking dish.
How Long to Bake Banana Bread in Oven…
Mini loaves take me about 20 minutes, and two regular loaf pans take about 40 minutes.
How Long to Cool Banana Bread
Once you remove your banana bread from the oven, let sit a few minutes and then release it from the loaf pan to fully cool on a wire rack. (I do this when we want to eat it in a hurry.)
Slice and serve!
But do me a favor… if you’re making it just for fun, give it a try when it’s warm. You won’t regret it.
How long does banana bread last?
Banana bread can sit out on the counter for four days. However, I prefer to put it in a container after a day or so, to prevent it from drying out and even refrigerate it to help it last longer. (But honestly, it never lasts more than a day in our house anyway!)
How to Freeze Banana Bread
You can freeze banana bread for up to 3 months, as long as it’s stored correctly! It’s best to store, wrapped, in a freezer bag, freezer paper or even a vacuum-sealed bag. (Just remember to choose the setting that won’t flatten it out while removing the air.)
More bread recipes like this one that you’ll love:
Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or you can combine 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice & set aside to curdle
- 3/4 cup butter softened (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cup very ripe bananas mashed, which is about 3 large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chocolate chips
- nuts walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add in the mashed bananas and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately to the wet mixture, and mix with a hand mixer on low or by hand until combined. (If you're adding chocolate chips/nuts, add to mixture and hand stir to combine.)
- If baking in regular-size loaf pans (split batter in half between the two.) If using mini loaf pans, fill each cavities about half way.
- If baking in regular-size loaf pans, bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes. (Some have stated their ovens do better at baking for 50-55 minutes.) If baking in mini loaf pans, bake at 325 and begin checking after 20 minutes with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. (Because each mini loaf size is different like mentioned above.)
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.