This chocolate cream cheese pie is such an easy recipe, that uses only 6 ingredients, and is frozen to “set”, making it a no-bake dessert recipe that is velvety delicious.
Quick Overview: Using a storebought Oreo pie crust, it only takes 10 minutes to put together. Freeze for at least 6 hours to set or overnight.
Why you’ll love this recipe
I wasn’t sure whether to call this recipe a chocolate cheesecake pie or chocolate cream cheese pie but since the texture is a little more firm than a typical cheesecake, say like our no-bake Oreo cheesecake, I figured it would be called, a “cream cheese pie.” Either way… it’s one of our favorite no-bake desserts that cream cheese lovers an any chocolate lover will adore.
Then, whether you need an easy dessert recipe just for fun or for a holiday gathering, this is an ideal pie because you can make it ahead of time, or even freeze it up to 1-2 months.
Plus, with only a few simple ingredients, you probably even have almost all of the ingredients (if not all of them) on hand!
Some of our favorite recipes around here are those that have shortcuts or include very few ingredients. This chocolate cream cheese pie recipe is no different! It uses a store-bought oreo pie crust but you can also use your own pie crust recipe if you prefer. (See alternative ideas for different pie crusts below.)
- 1 store-bought chocolate Oreo crust (or desired type of pie crust)
- 1 – 8 oz block of cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz container of Cool Whip (store bought whipped cream), room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate, white chocolate, etc.)
See the full recipe card for ingredients and instructions all in one place.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl and mix together with an electric mixer or stand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Once whipped, add the milk and powdered sugar to the mixing bowl and mix the ingredients until smooth and blended together.
- Next, add in the Cool Whip and mix again until it is fully incorporated into the pie mixture.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, by placing them in a separate small or medium bowl. Melt for 30 seconds, stirring and microwaving an additional 30 seconds until just melted. (Don’t over cook them.)
- Pour the melted chocolate into the cream cheese mixture, and stir until blended in.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pie shell and place the pie in the freezer to set for at least 6 hours, or overnight. (It may be best to cover with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.)
- Top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, serve and enjoy! (You can pipe stiff peaks of whipped cream like shown here or you can just spread on top!) You can also top individual servings as well, just before serving.
Expert Tips and FAQ’s
- It is important to make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before starting the recipe, otherwise the mixture will not combine properly, and you may end up with chunks of cream cheese throughout your pie.
- Chocolate Shavings: To make chocolate shavings, you can use a vegetable peeler, and shave the edge of a chocolate bar for narrow curls, or the side of the chocolate bar for wide curls.
- You can use 1/3 cup cocoa powder instead of chocolate chips if you want a more subtle chocolate flavor.
- Want to do chocolate curls/shavings but wanting to mix things up? Using a white chocoalte bar, or a dark chocolate bar for the shavings!
If you only have certain items on hand, it’s completely ok to mix things up sometimes! For this recipe you can:
- Want to make your own pie crust? Go for it! Only have a graham cracker pie crust? That’s ok too! You will still end up with a delicious recipe.
- You can use any kind of chocolate chips in this recipe. Love milk chocolate chips? That’s absolutely fine!
- Instead of using cool whip for the topping, you can make your own homemade whipped topping by whipped heavy whipping cream and sugar together, if you prefer! It does tend to pipe better and hold it’s “peak” longer than storebought Cool Whip.
If you have leftovers or want to make in advance, this pie will last for 1-2 months in the freezer. Just make sure to store it properly in an airtight container that’s suited for the freezer.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie
- 1 oreo pie crust store bought
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Once whipped, add the milk and powdered sugar to the mixing bowl and mix the ingredients until smooth and mixed together.
- Add in the cool whip and mix again until the Cool Whip is fully incorporated into the pie mixture.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, by placing them in a small separte bowl. Melt for 30 seconds, stirring and microwaving an additional 30 seconds until just melted. (Don't over cook them.)
- Pour the melted chocolate into the mixture, and stir until mixed together.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and place the pie in the freezer to set for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.