Baked BBQ Pork Steaks in the Oven: pork steak recipes can be so easy and as the slow cooker pork steaks, this is one that can be made with little effort, showing you how to bake!
Pork Steaks Recipe
If you have pork steaks or pork shoulders (or should blade steaks) sitting in your freezer or refrigerator, then you may have happened upon here while trying to find one of the BEST pork steak recipes you can find, for an easy dinner recipe.
Some recipes are grilled, some cooked in a cast iron pan with gravy drippings, and more! But this is by far our favorite way to have bbq pork steaks, with no marinade required!.
I think you’re in the right place and that you’re going to love how easy and how delicious this pork steak recipe is.
If you also saw my slow cooker bbq pork steaks recipe, then you may already know that cooking them slowly, over a longer period of time makes the pork steak meat literally fall off of the bone.
But when you need something a bit quicker, baking pork steaks in the oven is an alternative that definitely won’t disappoint you and will also leave you with tender pork steaks.
What is a pork steak?
Pork steaks are a section of a hog that’s cut from the shoulder, and /or butt. Some grocery stores or butcher shops have pork steaks ready for you. However if you are not able to find them, you can ask them to cut pork shoulder or pork butt in to steaks for grilling.
What is the difference between pork chops and pork steaks?
Since pork steaks come from the shoulder and or butt area of a hog, the pork chops are cut from the loin section. Pork chops tend to be lean than pork steaks and can sometimes be more “dry” than pork steaks, where pork steaks tend to have more fat around the meat to help make them juicy.
How to Cook Pork Steak
Now of course you don’t have to cook pork steaks with bbq sauce, but for us, it’s really hard to cook them/eat them any other way.
Feel free to have fun creating sauces and using different spices for your pork steaks, but if you’re wanting to bake your steaks in the oven, then this is a great reference to find out how long to cook them.
You can find the full recipe with an ingredient list and instructions at the bottom of this post.
Baked BBQ Pork Steak Recipe in the Oven
Another thing I love about this recipe is that you can cook one pork steak up to as many as you want/need!
The day that I made these to take photos for the blog, I only made two steaks, as it was just the right amount for what we needed that day…however I’ve created the recipe in the recipe card below to reflect 4 pork steaks, as that would be more common for a family of 4.
Pork Steak Seasoning
Would you believe that the only seasonings needed are salt and pepper? You can use others of course, like, garlic powder, onion powder, your favorite bbq seasoning and more, but the BBQ usually has a lot of that already so we keep it simple.
Cook at 400°
Start by preheating your oven to 400º and then cover your pork steaks with salt and pepper.
Next, line a baking pan (large enough to fit the number of steaks you’re cooking, so they don’t overlap) with aluminum foil for easy cleaning.
Drizzle a layer of barbeque sauce on the aluminum foil where you’ll place each steak.
Place your steaks down on the foil and sauce, and then cover steaks with remaining bbq sauce.
How Long to Bake Pork Steaks
Bake the pork steaks uncovered for 50-60 minutes, (on the middle rack) or until the internal temperature of the steaks reaches 145 degrees.
NOTE: Oven temperatures can vary, and some have reported that they prefer baking at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or checking the internal temp after 30 minutes to avoid over-cooking.
What Side Dishes to Serve with Pork Steaks
Side dishes that go with bbq pulled pork are often delicious with pork steaks too!
Meal Planning for the Week?
Since the oven is hot, consider making burgers in the oven too, so you can eat on them all week! Just re-heat and serve!
More Pork Recipes
We love having pork steaks and pork chops around here. They’re so easy and actually pretty affordable. Here are our favorite pork recipes that you don’t want to miss…
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Steaks
- Pan Fried Boneless Pork Chop Recipe
- BBQ Baked Boneless Pork Chops
- Sweet & Smokey Grilled Pork Chops
- Baked Pork Chops & Veggies in the Oven
- Ribs on the Grill: Chipotle Apple Butter Ribs
BBQ Pork Steaks in the Oven
- 4 pork steaks or pork shoulders
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 16 oz. bottle of barbecue sauce I use Sweet Baby Rays
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rub salt and pepper on both sides of each pork steak if desired
- Line a baking pan (large enough to fit the number of steaks you’re cooking, so they don’t overlap) with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle half a bottle of barbeque sauce on the aluminum foil where you’ll place each steak.
- Place your steaks down on the foil and sauce, and then cover steaks with remaining bbq sauce.
- Bake the pork steaks at 400 degrees, uncovered for 50-60 minutes, (on the middle rack) or until the internal temperature of the steaks reaches 145 degrees. NOTE: Oven temperatures can vary, and some have reported that they prefer baking at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or checking the internal temp after 30 minutes to avoid over-baking.
- Serve alongside your desired side dish or one our favorites HERE!