Fried Chicken Recipe: This easy, country fried chicken using flour and everyday ingredients is a classic staple for weeknight or Sunday afternoon dinners!
Fried Chicken Recipe
It was a normal Saturday morning. The kids slept in, and I was sitting on the couch catching up on my self-work and social media updates until they woke up. I had known that my husband left out early to go work on my parent’s farm, but didn’t expect him back home until the end of the day.
Then, in he walks, with a whole chicken hanging upside down in his hand, and a big smile on his face. (My hubby’s face… not the chicken’s.)
“You got a good fried chicken recipe momma?”
(Insert his biggest fake country accent ever.)
So, as usual, my response was,
“Let me call Mom.”
I made the call, she gave me her recipe, and I heated up the oil…
If you follow me on Facebook, you may have caught the post that I did, showing how my husband was doing one of his first YouTube videos that we’ve been gearing him up for.
He cut up the chicken for me, and when he was finished, he handed it all over to me.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Broth
Before you start making your fried chicken, make sure to check out the homemade chicken broth recipe that I made using the pieces that I didn’t fry in case you want to, too!
Batter: Flour + Seasoning Mixture
Using flour, and a few seasonings and spices I already had on hand, the batter (but I usually refer to it breading) was ready in no-time.
See the full fried chicken recipe and video how-to, below…
While the oil heated up, I covered each piece of chicken so it would be ready when the pan was.
Easy Fried Chicken
I’ve been intimidated by frying chicken for years. But when my husband placed this thing on my kitchen counter, and my momma gave me her recipe to tackle it… I was golden.
Now, I can whip this recipe up in the future with no problem, and it’s much easier than I thought!
I hope this recipe gives you the courage to make your own fried chicken too!
You know me, if it’s easy, it’s my kind of recipe. Here are my other easy recipes so you can fill your Pinterest boards!
Easy Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 fryer chicken cut-up (or chicken breasts, tenders, whichever you prefer)
- vegetable oil enough to make 1/2 in. of oil in the pan you’re using.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt optional (We really like a taste of salt on our fried chicken.)
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional
- In dish or mixing bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper, and paprika/seasoned salt if preferred.
- Pat chicken dry if wet.
- Coat chicken with flour mixture.
- In a skillet or cast iron, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. (To test if the oil is ready, sprinkle in a pinch of the flour mixture to see if it sizzles.)
- When the oil is ready, place chicken in oil, and fry on one side for 10 minutes or until golden brown. (I cover the pan with a lid to reduce splatter.)
- Flip and fry the underside for an additional 10 minutes, or until bottom side is golden brown or until juice of chicken is clear. (I take the first piece out and cut at the thickest part to see if it’s no longer pink.)
- To make certain, the internal temperature of chicken (inserted, but not touching the bone) should be 165°F.