This chicken drumsticks in the oven recipe is not only easy but is full of flavor, baked in only 30 minutes, and uses simple ingredients!
The butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese are what make up the crispy skin, and the oven baked method them gives them a juicy center that makes them the best, like the top-favorite chicken legs in the air fryer!
Why You’ll Love These Baked Chicken Legs
- Why You’ll Love These Baked Chicken Legs
- Step by Step Directions for Chicken Drumsticks in Oven
- FAQ’s and Expert Tips:
- What to Serve with Chicken Drumsticks
- Low Carb Oven Baked Chicken Legs
- Variation: BBQ Chicken Legs
- How to Reheat
- Related Recipes
- Juicy Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven
- Food safety
Just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, is all you need to make this perfect chicken recipe, easy!
See the full recipe card with ingredients amounts and directions, all in one place!
- chicken legs (drumsticks)
- grated parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- black pepper
Step by Step Directions for Chicken Drumsticks in Oven
- First, preheat your oven temperature to 400° F degree oven (this high temperature will help give the chicken a golden brown color) and cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
(Aluminum foil will work too if that’s what you have on hand.)
- While the oven is preheating, melt the butter in a small dish, yet big enough to coat a chicken leg with the “batter” that you’re currently preparing.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt and pepper. (Image on left, below.)
- Mix together the butter mixture until evenly combined. (Image on the right, below.)
- Take one chicken leg and dip it in to the butter mixture.
- Fully coat the chicken leg with the butter batter.
- Place fully coated chicken legs on to a rimmed baking sheet or sheet pan, in a single layer, making sure they don’t touch one another.
(The size of the baking sheet that you use will depend on how many chicken legs you’re making. You can make a LARGE batch of these at once, which is great for a crowd but just make sure to double or triple the ingredients for the amount of chicken you’ll be cooking.)
- Bake the drumsticks in the oven for a cook time of 30 minutes or until the internal temp (checked with a meat thermometer) reaches 165° and it has that crispy chicken skin.
- Optional: If desired, remove chicken drumsticks from baking sheet with tongs, and transfer to a baking rack on top of another baking sheet, to allow juices to drip before serving.
FAQ’s and Expert Tips:
At 400° F, it takes about 30 minutes for the chicken drumsticks to cook through and become a golden brown color.
You can but we don’t and they turn out beautiful, juicy, and just like you see in the photos!
You can but it’s not necessary! If you’re hanging around in the kitchen while cooking, you can flip them about halfway through but I like the set it and forget it method and they turn out beautiful every time.
They seem cheap because there’s less meat on a chicken leg than there is, say, a chicken breast. So when planning to feed a crowd, make sure to plan on feed a few per person!
What to Serve with Chicken Drumsticks
This easy recipe has become a family favorite for the whole family, on busy weeknights, even for my picky eater! We love serving these chicken drumsticks with easy side dishes like this bacon ranch pasta salad or this side salad recipe!
Low Carb Oven Baked Chicken Legs
What I love so much about this chicken drumsticks recipe, is that if you’re eating low carb, these drumsticks are giving the flavor and crunch of fried chicken but it is much healthier!
You may prefer to use minced garlic and your own shredded/grated parmesan cheese if it will cut down on the carbohydrates even more.
Serve them with this cauliflower potato salad for the ultimate low-carb meal!
Variation: BBQ Chicken Legs
Chicken recipes can be super versatile. So if you prefer baked bbq chicken drumsticks, you can do this instead of the garlic parmesan chicken legs I’ve shared with you, for another simple recipe.
However, instead of coating the chicken legs with bbq sauce before baking, I like to bake them for about 15 minutes first and then coat in bbq sauce, and finish baking for the remaining 15 minutes.
This way, the bbq sauce doesn’t burn and baking the drumsticks in sauce, gives it that sticky texture that is SO good.
To store leftover chicken legs, store in an airtight container or plastic zip-top bag, in the refrigerator, for up to 3-4 days.
How to Reheat
My favorite way to reheat meats like these chicken drumsticks, is by using my air fryer! It gives them that extra crispy skin that they had when they were first baked!
Pop them in your air fryer for about 5 minutes (could vary for different air fryers) until heated through!
Or, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can easily put these in the microwave for a few moments or even back in the oven at 350°, for a few minutes until they’re heated through.
Whether you just want to add another chicken recipe to your dinner planner or you love oven-baked recipes, you’re sure to love these too:
Oven Baked Recipes
Make sure to see the 80+ easy dinner recipes to add to your meal planner!
Juicy Chicken Drumsticks in the Oven
- 6 chicken legs you can use more if desired (double or triple the recipe with the easy to figure buttons above.)
Garlic Butter Batter
- 1 stick salted butter 8 tablespoons
- 1.5 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet (large enough to hold 6 — or however many chicken drumsticks you're cooking) with parchment paper. You can also use aluminum foil if that's all you have.
- In a small, shallow dish, melt the stick of butter.
- Once butter is melted, add in the parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Stir until evenly mixed.
- Take one chicken leg at a time and dip in the butter and seasoning mixture, making sure each leg is fully coated in the butter batter.
- Place coated chicken drumsticks on the lined baking sheet, in a single layer, making sure the drumsticks not touching one another.
- Bake in the 400° oven for 30 minutes or until internal temperature is 165° and the skin has a golden brown, crispy texture.
- Optional: If desired, remove chicken drumsticks from baking sheet with tons, and transfer to a baking rack on top of another baking sheet, to allow juices to drip before serving.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove