These crispy baked chicken cutlets are made using just a few simple ingredients and are a kid favorite. Ready in about 30 minutes or less, they’re perfect for an easy dinner recipe, much like our baked chicken drumsticks.
These oven-baked chicken cutlets have a crispy outside and a juicy inside, making them one of our favorite recipes yet. With chicken being such a versatile ingredient, it’s great to have multiple chicken recipes to turn to, so you can switch things up from time to time.
Rotating this chicken cutlets recipe with other simple recipes like you can find in this list of chicken breast recipes, you’ll be able to fill up your meal plan with delicious ideas! But some of our favorites to rotate for an easy dinner are these air fryer chicken tenders made with panko crumbs and these simple chicken bites.
What are Chicken Cutlets?
Chicken cutlets are boneless chicken breasts sliced in half, to make two thin chicken pieces.
Usually, the chicken cutlets are then beaten, to flatten them to about 1/4 of an inch thickness. This makes them easier, and quicker to cook and also helps stretch out the chicken for multiple servings.
⭐️ Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- It uses simple ingredients: Using only pantry and refrigerator staples makes this recipe something that you can make often because you’ll more than likely have the ingredients on hand when you need something quick to make for dinner.
- Ready in only 30 minutes: Talk about a quick and easy dinner idea! This recipe, from start to finish, only takes about half an hour.
- Serve different ways: Serve alone, or place on top of a delicious creamy pasta like this cream cheese pasta or on them creamy lemon chicken pasta.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy chicken recipe. I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients with some relevant notes, below. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- Bread Crumbs: The bread crumbs give the outside a crispy coating on the chicken. We use Italian seasoned bread crumbs and feel it gives it great flavor but you can use your favorite type, such as plain, garlic & herb, etc.
- Seasonings: Lemon pepper, seasoning salt, and optional fresh parsley are what we use for this recipe but feel free to add garlic powder, onion powder, etc. Just keep in mind that the bread crumbs may already have salt, and different seasonings already.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan cheese works best to blend in with the bread crumbs for this recipe.
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are best for this recipe, for easy slicing. We also use these in our sandwiches, such as in this chicken club sandwich recipe and this cheesy chicken recipe!
👩🏻🍳 How to Prep for Baked Chicken Cutlets
It requires very little effort to cook this chicken breast cutlets recipe but here are a few tips to help you get started, and answers to questions that you may have:
What Temperature Should I Bake Chicken Cutlets at?
Bake the breaded chicken cutlets at 400 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes. However, if you’re afraid that will cook the chicken too fast, you can cook it at 350° F. for longer, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F.
What can I Pound Chicken with?
To make thin chicken cutlets, the best way is to wrap whole chicken breasts in plastic wrap, and then beat it with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
🥘 How to Cook Chicken Cutlets
If you’re tired of storebought, frozen chicken tenders and nuggets, you’ll love how easy it is to make this homemade breaded chicken. Plus, when you’re making this at home, you’ll know what’s in it, which makes me feel better when I’m making dinner for the kids.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
Prep the Cutlets
It’s easy to create the cutlets and prep them for baking. Here are the easy steps for this delicious recipe:
- Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then slice the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise.
- Then place them between two pieces of plastic wrap (or in a Ziploc bag). Beat with a meat mallet or rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon pepper, and seasoning salt together in a shallow bowl.
- Scramble the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl to make an egg wash..
- To bread the chicken, dip one piece of chicken in the egg mixture.
- Then dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the breaded chicken cutlets on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Repeat until all chicken pieces have been breaded.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes and top with chopped fresh parsley just before serving.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Golden Brown Chicken: To help give the chicken a golden brown color, spray cooking spray on top of breaded chicken pieces just before putting in the oven.
- Keep Chicken Warm and Crispy: To keep warm and crispy, place a cooling rack in a baking sheet; then place the cooked chicken on the cooling wire rack. Keep the rack in a warm oven until ready to serve.
❄️ How to Store and Reheat
- Store: If you have leftover chicken cutlets, allow them to fully cool and then store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Reheat: If reheating, you can bake them at 350° for about 10 minutes, or our favorite, is to reheat them in the air fryer to help keep that crispiness.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Chicken Cutlets
So many different sides can go with this crispy chicken cutlets recipe for an easy meal. From starchy sides to vegetable sides like this bacon-wrapped asparagus, or these reader favorites:
- Bread: Like when you visit your favorite restaurant, they may greet you with a warm basket of bread. These Bisquick cheddar biscuits are cheesy and they only use 6 simple ingredients. If traditional bread is more your style, you may prefer these easy homemade biscuits or this Italian bread.
- Salads: This leafy green salad is one of top-rated recipes here for a side salad, so it’s always a great choice. Or, these cold pasta salad recipes are an amazing choice to serve alongside a protein.
- Green Vegetables: A green vegetable like these roasted brussels sprouts, always look and taste amazing, paired with a crispy chicken recipe. This garlic-roasted broccoli is easy to make in the oven, and is one of our favorite healthy side dish recipes.
📋 Recipe FAQs
Have some other questions about making baked breaded chicken cutlets? Here are answers that can help:
You can bake it at both, and multiple different temperatures. Baking at 350° will bake slower but could prevent the chicken from cooking too fast and drying out. However baking at 400° will bake it faster, and help give it that special crispy outside that you’re looking for. Just make sure the internal temperature reaches 165° F when checked with a meat thermometer.
Using a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken will help tenderize the meat.
We actually prefer baking breaded chicken on parchment paper, on a baking pan.
🍗 More Chicken Recipes
If you love easy chicken recipes like this one, we think you’ll also love these dishes that have become reader favorites:
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a “star” rating below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
Baked Chicken Cutlets
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- chopped fresh parsley
- Prep the equipment: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the cutlets: Slice larger chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Then place them between two pieces of plastic wrap (or in a Ziploc bag). Beat with a meat mallet or rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Prep the breading: Mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon pepper, and seasoning salt together in a shallow bowl.
- Prep the wash: Scramble the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl.
- Bread the chicken: To bread the chicken, dip one piece of chicken in the egg mixture. Then dredge it in the bread crumb mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken pieces have been breaded.
- Bake the chicken: Bake for 15 to 20 minutes and top with chopped fresh parsley just before serving, if desired.
- Achieve Golden Brown Chicken: To help give the chicken a golden brown color, spray cooking spray on top of breaded chicken pieces just before putting in the oven.
- Keep Chicken Warm and Crispy: To keep warm and crispy, place a cooling rack in a baking sheet; then place the cooked chicken on the cooling rack. Keep the rack in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- How to Store: If you have leftover chicken cutlets, allow them to fully cool and then store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- How to Reheat: If reheating, you can bake them at 350° for about 10 minutes, or our favorite, is to reheat them in the air fryer to help keep that crispiness.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.