Lasagna Stuffed Chicken: This low carb recipe is packed with three cheeses and red sauce in chicken breastsfor the ultimate easy dinner idea!
Since sharing the Buffalo Chicken Lasagna, I knew you all would love this Lasagna Stuffed Chicken recipe too!
Hey there! Meg here popping in from Meg’s Everyday Indulgence with your new favorite dinner recipe, Lasagna Stuffed Chicken.
We’re talking all the best things about lasagna stuffed into boneless skinless chicken breasts and you’ll especially love this if you’re eating low carb these days!
What You Need for Lasagna Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This dish may sound fancy but you only need a handful of super simple and accessible ingredients to make it.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Spaghetti sauce
- Fresh parsley (if you’re fancy like that)
As you can see, the grocery list couldn’t get easier and will take you just a few minutes to grab the necessary ingredients.
How to Make Lasagna Chicken
In just a few simple steps you can have this delicious, cheesy chicken in the oven. You can find the full, step-by-step, printable recipe below, but I wanted to walk you through the process too!
Start by laying your chicken on a cutting board and cutting a slit through the middle, like your cutting it into two thin pieces. But be sure not to cut all the way through as you want it to be a pocket for the cheesy goodness.
Season the Chicken
Season the chicken evenly with salt and pepper and set aside. If you love using Himalayan salt like Jessica, that’s a great choice too!
Next, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Stir in your favorite Italian seasoning to add some major flavor.
Stuffing the Chicken
Open up your chicken and spread each one with a tablespoon of spaghetti sauce. You can use your favorite store-bought jarred variety or make your own.
Next, divide the ricotta mixture evenly into 4 and spread it on top of the spaghetti sauce. Close the chicken and place in a greased 8×8 baking pan.
Once all the chicken is prepared and in the pan, spread with the remaining spaghetti sauce and top with more shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake the Chicken
Cover the dish with foil and into the oven it goes. The chicken will bake covered for half the time to ensure the cheese doesn’t get too brown.
How Long to Cook
The amount of time you will need to cook your Lasagna Stuffed Chicken will depend on the thickness of your chicken. Times are included in the recipe below but you may need a little more or less time.
Your best bet to get perfectly cooked chicken is a digital meat thermometer. I swear by them anytime I cook meat or poultry. There are some great ones out there that you can set to beep when a certain temperature has been reached.
To use a thermometer in this recipe, place the probe in the thickest part of your chicken and set it to 165 degrees for perfectly cooked chicken.
Low Carb Meal
The Whole Family Will Love It
With a lineup of chicken and three different cheeses, this meal is sure to be a family pleaser.
This Lasagna Stuffed Chicken works great as a meal prep option as well if you take your lunch to work each day. It makes enough for Monday through Friday leaving one day to treat yourself. The perfect balance in my opinion.
You may need to hide it in the back of the fridge to make sure it lasts all week.
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside. Lay chicken on a cutting board. Cut a slit into the chicken, creating a pocket (be sure not to cut all the way through). Continue with remaining chicken. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Set cutting board aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of spaghetti sauce inside each piece of chicken. Evenly divide the ricotta mixture into 4 sections. Fill each piece of chicken with a ricotta mixture. Place in the prepared baking pan with the filled side of the chicken facing up. Gently spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce onto the chicken. Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cover lightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Top with fresh parsley if desired.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Need More Easy Dinner Ideas?
If you’re looking for more delicious and easy dinners, make sure to check out Jessica’s recipe archives. Some of my current favorites are easy hamburgers in the oven, barbecue baked boneless pork chops, salt and pepper chicken bites and cheeseburger macaroni in the instant pot.
Pin it to Remember it:
It’s easy to forget where you found something, so pin it on Pinterest so you’ll have it the next time you’re looking for something for your low carb menu or for just a simple recipe to make for your family!