Chicken Club Sandwich: Making the perfect Chicken Club Sandwiches comes down to three things: good white bread, fresh & delicious chicken breast half, slices of ham, and crispy bacon. All of the extra add-ons just make it that much better!
Along with our crispy chicken burger, this chicken caprese sandwich, and our chicken grilled cheese, this club sandwich fits right in, and they all offer an amazing variety of flavors, even using similar ingredients.
Or have you ever had one of your favorite sandwiches in pinwheel form? These pinwheel sandwiches are such a fun appetizer or lunch.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It is ready in 10 minutes: From start to finish, this Classic Club Sandwich recipe will take you 10 minutes at most!
- Perfect lunch option: This sandwich is ideal for a make-ahead, workday lunch. Just stick the mayo in a little container so the sandwich doesn’t get soggy by lunchtime.
- It’s very customizable: While I have listed the classic ingredients of a grilled Chicken Club Sandwich, there are many routes you could go to upgrade the sandwich (and I list them out below).
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients below with some relevant notes. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- White Bread – We suggest the cheapest white bread you can get. It really adds to the nostalgic taste of the sandwich!
- Rotisserie Chicken Bread – You could go with sliced chicken breast (the thickest part of the breast is best), but we suggest rotisserie chicken breast for some added texture to the sandwich.
- Crispy Bacon – For the best crunch, you’re going to want some crispy bacon on your sandwich. We absolutely love cooking bacon in the air fryer but we’ve also cooked turkey bacon in the oven, so that’s an option as well.
Sometimes substitutions are necessary because of ingredients that are unavailable or needed for dietary restrictions. Here are some suggestions that can help:
- Bread – If you are trying to be more health conscious, you could easily swap out the white bread we suggest for a bread you prefer.
- Romaine Lettuce – Swap this one out for some arugula to add an added kick to your sandwich and change up the texture. Or you could go with classic lettuce shreds.
- Mayonnaise – If you’re not a big mayo fan, opt for Miracle Whip or even some Aioli! Some Garlic Aioli like we used on our salmon sliders, would really dress up this easy Chicken Club Sandwich. Your favorite sauce would likely pair well with this chicken sandwich!
This is a sentence or two about some variations that can take place if applicable. If nothing to put here, it can be removed.
- Veggies – If you’re not a big fan of the classic lettuce and tomato slices as this recipe calls for, you could easily switch it to your preferred vegetables (or go with none at all).
- Cheese – Have a favorite cheese you want to include? Add it in! Swap out one of the cheese listed, or simply add another slice of cheese to the mix because honestly, can you ever have too much cheese?
👩🏻🍳 How to Make a Classic Chicken Club Sandwich
Making the best Chicken Club Sandwich is about as easy as can be.
This Chicken Club Sandwich is broken into 3 components:
- slicing & serving
I suggest buying a full rotisserie chicken for this recipe to get the best rotisserie chicken breast flavor. If you need ideas for how to use the rest of the rotisserie chicken, check out this recipe for Chicken Salad for using the leftover chicken.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
We have a suggested way to layer this Chicken Club Sandwich for the best flavor and texture, but feel free to layer however you like!
PREP. Chop. Begin by preparing your ingredients. Slice your tomatoes and cheese, chop your lettuce, and break apart your rotisserie chicken. If you bought bacon you have to cook on the stove, prepare that as well.
STEP 1. Lay Out Bread Slice. Lay 1 of the pieces of bread on a plate or cutting board and spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over it.
STEP 2-5. Assemble the First Layer. Layer 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 2 slices of ham, ½ of the chicken, a slice of tomato, 2 slices of bacon, and a romaine leaf on top of the bread.
Tip: Check out the images for picture examples of how we personally layered this Chicken Club Sandwich.
STEP 6. Add the Next Slice of Bread. Stack the second piece of bread on top and spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over it. The extra slice of bread in the middle of this chicken sandwich is what makes it a club sandwich (fun fact).
STEP 7-11. Add the Next Layer. Layer 1 slice of muenster, 2 slices of ham, ½ of the chicken, 1 slice of tomato, 2 slices of bacon, 1 romaine leaf, and 1 slice of cheddar on top of the bread.
STEP 12. Finish the Sandwich. Spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over the last slice of bread and place it mayo-side-down on top of the sandwich to close it.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Serve right away. Ensure that this really good sandwich won’t get soggy from the mayonnaise by enjoying it right away.
- Temperature. Make sure to pull the ingredients straight from the fridge for preparation. This will ensure a nice, cold sandwich!
📋 Recipe FAQs
This chicken club sandwich is definitely best enjoyed cold (although the toasted golden brown bread might be slightly warm when you first dive in).
A chicken club sandwich has 3 layers of bread as opposed to the 2 in a chicken sandwich. It is also sometimes called a clubhouse sandwich, thanks to Saratoga Clubhouse who claims to have made it first.
You can totally make your own bread here (we have a pretty tasty homemade bread recipe here). There’s nothing quite like a delicious clubhouse sandwich on fresh, homemade bread. Just make sure you slice it nice and thin.
Unfortunately, no. The best you can do when it comes to making this recipe ahead of time is to slice all of the ingredients and store them in separate airtight containers in the fridge until you are ready to assemble (ideally within a day or two).
I love how versatile this club sandwich is. Don’t limit yourself to meats, cheeses, tomatoes, and lettuce. Feel free to add avocado, garlic aioli, cucumber, and/or a fried egg. I even love incorporating a little everything bagel seasoning into the sandwich. You can also feel free to swap out the ham for a different deli meat of your choosing. Turkey or prosciutto would be a great way to go.
A club sandwich is a classic American sandwich made with layers of sliced turkey, ham, chicken, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise, typically served on three slices of bread (preferably toasted), with one of the slices often cut into a triangular shape and inserted between the others.
A club sandwich typically contains layers of sliced turkey or chicken breast, crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, ripe tomato slices, and mayonnaise. These ingredients are stacked between three slices of bread (usually toasted).
In the term “chicken club,” the word “club” refers to the style of sandwich it is. It involves stacking multiple layers of ingredients between slices of bread in a triple-decker fashion.
🍽 What to Serve with Chicken Club Sandwich
This Chicken Club Sandwich goes well with our Homemade White Bread, Italian Chopped Salad, or Honey Lime Fruit Salad. However, if you’re feeling like you want to keep it simple, some classic french fries or potato chips would be a great pairing!
I recommend eating this sandwich as soon as possible after assembling it. That being said, if you want to make it ahead of time or find yourself with leftovers, just seal it in a Ziplock bag or an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Note that it will start to get soggy as it sits.
🥪 More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love
If you loved this Chicken Club Sandwich recipe, we think you’ll love these ones too.
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a “star” rating below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
Chicken Club Sandwich
- 3 slices white bread toasted
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices white cheddar cheese
- 4 slices honey ham thin slices
- 1 slice rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 slices tomato thick slices
- 4 slices crispy bacon
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 slice muenster cheese
- Lay 1 piece of bread on a plate or cutting board and spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over it.
- Layer 1 slice of cheddar cheese, 2 slices of ham, ½ of the chicken, a slice of tomato, 2 slices of bacon, and a romaine leaf on top of the bread.
- Stack the second piece of bread on top and spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over it. Layer 1 slice of muenster, 2 slices of ham, ½ of the chicken, 1 slice of tomato, 2 slices of bacon, 1 romaine leaf, and 1 slice of cheddar on top of the bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of mayo over the last slice of bread and place it mayo-side-down on top of the sandwich to close it.
- Slice. Place your sandwich picks in the center of the top, bottom, and side of the sandwich making sure they hold all the way through the sandwich. If the picks are too short you can insert a second pick through the bottom. Slice the sandwich from corner to corner. Serve.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.