This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Chex, however, the opinions and text are all mine! #Sponsored
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies: Chex Party Mix is a crowd favorite that doesn’t require lots of time and effort. It keeps you out of the kitchen, and enjoying the party.
Do you have those “go-to” recipes for when you’re hosting a party? I sure do, and you can almost guarantee that they’re recipes that are quick, easy and if possible… made ahead of time.
A Party Favorite | Or Anytime Snack Favorite, Really
When I was a little girl, I fell in love the first time my mom made Muddy Buddies! I watched her make them, and when I realized how easy they were, I started making them myself. From that moment on, it has been a snack that gets made all year long, ESPECIALLY for parties. Whether it’s a savory or sweet recipe, Chex Party Mix is an easy, crowd-favorite recipe to make for the holidays, so I want to share this fun spin on a classic recipe with you.
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies Recipe
When thinking about a fun spin to put on the original Muddy Buddies recipe, we took the time of year in to consideration and thought that incorporating “hot chocolate” would be VERY fitting, and potentially delicious! Boy were we right. I can’t wait to share this recipe with you below, and walk you through the quick and easy steps.
For this recipe, I chose Rice Chex, but you can use Corn Chex or even Chocolate Chex!
I love using ingredients that can shave off time, and Chex is NO exception! Chex gets the party started with recipes made in 15 minutes or less.
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies Tutorial
You’ll start by measuring your Chex in to a bowl, and in a separate bowl you’ll melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla.
Once melted, you’ll poor the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the top of the Chex.
Stir to coat the Chex, completely.
You can then pour them in to a 2-gallon food storage plastic bag, with the powdered sugar and hot chocolate mix! Seal and shake!
(We mixed ours in to a super large bowl, but shaking in a plastic bag is MUCH easier!)
As much as I love the original Muddy Buddies recipe, I can’t help but swoon over the addition of the hot chocolate mix. It gave it a whole new fun flavor.
Once the Chex are fully coated, toss in some mini marshmallows to bring in a bit more of a “hot chocolate” feel! Then…you’re all set for snacking!
Hot Chocolate Muddy Buddies Recipe
- 9 cups Rice Chex™ Corn Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 individual serving packets of Hot Chocolate we used .73 oz. packets
- miniature marshmallows optional
- crushed peppermint optional
- In a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar and hot cocoa powder. Seal bag; shake until well coated.
- Add marshmallows and crushed peppermint candies if desired. Shake.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Creative Tip: Take one of your “go-to” recipes, and add a little spin to mix things up a bit.
Adding a few crushed peppermint candies to the mix was a seasonal touch that brought in the holidays perfectly!
I so hope you enjoy this recipe! But feel free to take a classic Chex Party Mix recipe and add your own personal spin to spread the holiday joy! Visit Chex.com for more fun recipes like this one!
To browse MORE quick and easy recipes, you’ll want to visit our recipe archives HERE to add to your favorite Pinterest board!