Easy Banana Bread Recipe: It’s the secret ingredient that makes this banana bread so moist and so delicious. It’s easy, quick, and an addictive recipe you’ll make over and over.
As I was walking towards my trash can with 3 really ripe bananas the other day, I stopped in my tracks and realized that I could put those nasty looking things to some good use!
Ok, so I knew I wanted to find an easy banana bread recipe because my toddler was sitting at the table coloring (which only lasts minutes), and my newborn was due to eat in like 30 minutes.
I began scouring the internet for an “Easy Banana Bread Recipe,” and found a few on Pinterest, and combined them to make it more to my liking! And WOAH, did it ever turn out delicious!
You’ll Also Love:
Pumpkin Bread from my friend Jenny at Jenny Cookies!
Easy Banana Bread Recipe:
How to Bake Banana Bread in Mini Loaf Pans
The first time I made this, I knew I had the CUTEST little mini loaf baking pan that I wanted to use, so I had to adjust the baking time a little, rather than what the original recipe called for. (I wasn’t sure how long to bake them, so I just started checking the middle after about 20 minutes of baking, and removed them when a toothpick inserted into the middle came out clean. Keep in mind, all mini loaf pans and paper pans, are not the same size, so time will differ for you too!)
How to Bake Banana Bread in Regular Loaf Pans
My oven cooks SUPER fast, so I had to be cautious when it came to baking this banana bread. So where I had to bake my banana bread in regular size loaf pans for 40 minutes, it may take anywhere from 40-55 minutes for your oven.
Periodically check with a toothpick until the center comes out clean after about 40 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: Since I used two different pans, they both cooked differently too. One pan was much thinner than the other, so that loaf of bread finished before the other.
Start with RIPE Bananas
I’m not going to lie. When I see at least 3 bananas on my counter that are starting to turn a little brown, I get a little too excited.
I despise eating bananas by themselves. But turn them into banana bread, and you can’t keep me out of it.
For this recipe, start with ripe bananas.
Don’t worry… if you need to make it NOW, and the store only had underripe bananas… it’s ok. I’ve been impatient before and still make it. It turned out just fine!
How to Make Moist Banana Bread with this Secret Ingredient
I truly believe there’s an ingredient in this banana bread recipe that makes it so good, and moist. Buttermilk. Yes, really! (Don’t have buttermilk on hand, DON’T worry. Just use a bit of lemon juice and regular milk to substitute. More details below.)
How to Make Banana Bread
With a mixer (I use my Kitchenaid), mix together the butter and the sugar.
Next, add in the mashed bananas and the eggs.
Pro Tip: Throw your bananas into a Ziploc bag, seal, and mash them with your hands through the bag or with a rolling pin!
In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, baking soda, and salt.
Next, fold in the dry ingredients, alternating the buttermilk (or milk and lemon juice) with the flour.
Once that is mixed, you’re ready to add to your desired, greased baking dish.
How Long to Bake Banana Bread in Oven…
Mini loaves take me about 20 minutes, and two regular loaf pans take about 40 minutes.
How Long to Cool Banana Bread
Once you remove your banana bread from the oven, let sit a few minutes and then release it from the loaf pan to fully cool on a wire rack. (I do this when we want to eat it in a hurry.)
Slice and serve!
But do me a favor… if you’re making it just for fun, give it a try when it’s warm. You won’t regret it.
Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or you can combine 1/2 cup milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice & set aside to curdle
- 3/4 cup butter softened (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cup very ripe bananas mashed, which is about 3 large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chocolate chips
- nuts walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add in the mashed bananas and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl. mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately to the wet mixture, and mix with a hand mixer on low or by hand until combined.
- If you're adding chocolate chips/nuts, add to mixture and hand stir to combine
- If baking in regular-size loaf pans (split batter in half between the two.) If using mini loaf pans, fill each cavities about half way.
- If baking in regular-size loaf pans, bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes. (Some have stated their ovens do better at baking for 50-55 minutes.) If baking in mini loaf pans, bake at 325 and begin checking after 20 minutes with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. (Because each mini loaf size is different like mentioned above.)
If you’re feeling ambitious, throw in some chocolate chips or pecans, just before baking for an added “yumm-o” factor! 😉
My boys DEVOURED this banana bread recipe. It didn’t last one day in our house…. Oooops!
For more quick and easy favorite recipes, don’t forget to check out my recipe archives! You can always count on quick, easy, and slightly homemade recipes around here:
Did you make this banana bread? Let me know if you liked it, in the comments below!
Share the love and pin this image: