Red Velvet Cupcakes with a Creamy Chocolate Chip Frosting: Using a red velvet cake mix to make the cupcakes, this recipe is elevated by making this chocolate chip frosting to go on top! (Feel free to make your own red velvet cupcakes from scratch instead!)
But honestly, the fact that these red velvet cupcakes are topped with a creamy, chocolate chip dip, as a frosting… is absolutley incredible and it may just become your new favorite cupcake recipe.
⭐️ Why This Recipe Works
- The frosting: I mean, a red velvet cupcake topped with any frosting, is going to be delicious. But the second that we topped these with this chocolate chip dip as a frosting, was the day our cupcake game changed.
- Cake mix: Even though we used a cake mix for this recipe, you can absolutely use your own favorite red velvet cupcake recipe from scratch. However, if you choose to use a cake mix too, you can see what we did with our peppermint cupcakes to elevate the cake mix cupcakes!
🧁 How to Make these Cupcakes
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
If making the cupcakes for an event, make sure you allow enough time for the cupcakes to cool, before topping with the chocolate chip frosting.
TIP: Now is a good time to set out the cream cheese and butter, so it can have time to soften while you’re making the cupcakes.
STEP 1. Make cupcakes according to package directions, and allow to cool while making frosting.
STEP 2. Cream. Mix together the butter and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl.
STEP 3. Add flavorings. Add in the vanilla and sugars and mix until combined.
STEP 4. Add chips. Stir in chocolate chips until blended.
STEP 5. Frost cupcakes. Once cupcakes have cooled, top cupcakes with about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chip frosting (or however much you want – just make sure to leave enough to cover all the cupcakes) and enjoy!
If not enjoying right away, chill the cupcakes in the refrigerator to make sure frosting stays in tact.
Store any leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator, due to the cream cheese in the frosting. Cupcakes do tend to dry out faster when stored in the refrigerator so if making ahead of time, it’s best not to make them a few days in advance.
TIP: If you prefer more of a cookie dough flavor for the frosting, you may want to try this edible cookie dough recipe!
🍰 More Easy Desserts
If you love easy desserts like we do, then you’ll also love these other easy recipes:
Red Velvet Cupcakes with a Creamy Chocolate Chip Frosting
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- The ingredients needed according to your cake mix directions
Chocolate Chip Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 stick butter softened
- ¾ powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Make cupcakes according to package directions, and allow to cool while making frosting.
Chocolate Chip Frosting
- Mix together the butter and cream cheese in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in the vanilla and sugars and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips until blended.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, top cupcakes with about 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chip frosting (or however much you want – just make sure to leave enough to cover all the cupcakes) and enjoy!
- Chill cupcakes in the refrigerator to make sure frosting stays in tact.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.