Baked Portobello Mushrooms: Stuffed with cheeses and a blend of spices like Italian seasoning, garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper, this recipe is easy and the BEST!
When I say this is the BEST baked portobello mushrooms I’ve ever had, I’m not just saying that because the recipe is here on this blog.
Consider it a happy accident…
Baked Portobello Mushrooms
The first time I bought portobellos, I only knew that I wanted to do SOMETHING with them, even if it was to just slice and fry them in flour and oil.
But the day this “happy accident” occurred, I was staring at a refrigerator full of cream cheese and I knew I had to use some of it since I have a bad habit of overbuying some each time I place a grocery pickup order.
So when I combined the cream cheese, extra shredded cheeses I had on hand and a few spices from my pantry, it lead to a recipe that left my husband saying,
Jessica, this is really good. Like… REALLY good. It’s the best stuffed mushrooms I’ve ever had.”
So the next time I made them, (because I HAD to make them again)… I made sure to take photos and nail down the recipe to share with you all!
How to Make Baked Portobello Mushrooms
First things first, I show 4 portobello mushrooms for this recipe, but honestly, the filling could be enough to fill more mushrooms if desired.
For the full recipe ingredients and instructions, you’ll find the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. However, I’d love to walk you through the step-by-step process with images so you can grab more helpful tips along the way.
How to Clean Portobello Mushrooms
First you’ll want to clean your mushrooms:
- Remove the gills/stems from the inside of the portobello mushrooms. An easy way to do this is to use a spoon to scrape out the gills (the little black lines inside the rim of the mushroom). Discard the stems/gills.
- With a wet paper towel, gently wipe down the mushrooms. (Soaking the mushrooms in water is not a good idea, as they’ll absorb the water.)
Oil the Mushrooms
- Mix olive oil, salt and pepper together in a small bowl
- Using a basting brush, brush the inside and outside of the portobellos with the oil and spice mixture.
How long to pre-bake mushrooms
- Bake the mushrooms on a cookie sheet at 425° fo 10 minutes.
How to Make the Cream Cheese Mixture
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded asiago, shredded cheddar, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, onion powder, kosher salt and pinch of pepper.
- Mix ingredients all together until evenly combined.
Stuff the Portobellos with Cheese
Fill the mushrooms with the cream cheese mixture, with the desired amount.
(This could mean that you have filling leftover if you’re only cooking 4 mushrooms like I did… or if you like a lot of filling you can use all of it!)
How Long to Bake Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Since you have “pre-baked” the mushrooms, you only need to bake the stuffed mushrooms for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese filling is heated through.
What to Garnish Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms With:
- If desired, feel free to garnish your stuffed mushrooms with grated parmesan, fresh parsley or extra shredded asiago!
What to Serve Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with:
- We absolutely love eating this as a main dish. Plus, if you’re looking for a great keto/low carb recipe, this.is.it!
- Or, you can serve this as an appetizer or even as a side dish recipe alongside your favorite main dish recipes!
Baked Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 portobellos stems and gills removed wiped clean
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt + 1/2 tsp for filling
- 1/4 tsp black pepper + pinch of pepper for filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup shredded asiago
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, asiago optional garnishes
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove stems and gills from portobello mushrooms. With a damp paper towel, wipe down the mushrooms gently to clean them
- Mix olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper together in a small bowl.
- Brush inside and outside of mushrooms with olive oil mixture.
- Bake mushrooms on a cookie sheet at 425° for 10 minutes.
- While mushrooms are baking, mix together cream cheese, shredded asiago, shredded cheddar cheese, and spices in a mixing bowl.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and stuff with filling and bake another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and heated through.
- Garnish with grated parmesan, fresh parsley or extra asiago if desired!