Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings: An easy recipe using canned biscuits that will help you have homemade chicken and dumplings in no time! Feel free to skip or add the vegetables!
On a cold evening, it’s so wonderful having an easy, warm meal to enjoy at home! These lemon and herb chicken thighs are a family favorite, and we will even use the meat from those to make chicken and dumplings from time to time!
You know how much I love good, warm and comforting dishes like casserole recipes, right? Well, a close runner up to casseroles is chicken and dumplings.
So I am super excited to have Elise from Elise Cellucci Photography + Film here again today, sharing her recipe with us!
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
Chicken and Dumplings with Vegetables?
Fun note: She actually puts vegetables in her chicken and dumplings, and I love that idea! When I saw she did that, I started looking around and it looks like SO many of you do this! Genius!
Where I come from, we usually stick to chicken, dumplings and call it a day! But the addition of veggies makes so much sense, and actually reminds me of a pot-pie dish!
So Elise, welcome! We can’t wait to hear from you again… so let’s get to it!
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings is an all-time favorite of mine. I loved it from the first time I had it.
What I did NOT like was how long it would take to make it. That is where the InstantPot came in handy as you’ll see below.
I grew up outside of Philadelphia where summer vacations were always down at the Jersey shore. I had a great uncle, Uncle Johnny, who use to manage a motel down there. When time allowed we would go visit him and he would comp us a room for a night or two if they were not busy.
The one year I went with my mom and my Aunt Anita… I was probably 17. We were checking up on my sister who was down there for senior week.
While spending time at the beach, relaxing by the pool, or walking the boardwalk was fun, the best part about the visit was Uncle Johnny’s cooking.
He was an Italian who would cook us delicious meals. Of course the first night we were there he made my favorite spaghetti and meatballs (that’s a fun recipe Natasha has).
But I remember the next night he made chicken and dumplings. It was my first time ever having it and I was hooked.
I do remember him cooking it all day and so excited to try it. So I begged my mom to make it when we got home, but she would only have time on the weekends because of the time it took.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
For years I have tried to recreate his recipe but in less time. With two little girls, I cannot spend more than 30 minutes making a recipe or my house is a mess.
Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker:
So for me, the best kind of cooking is setting it and walking away to let it do its magic for me like in a crock pot or Instant Pot. So I thought,
why not try it in the Instant pot since that’s all the rage right now?
So I did and now I can’t wait to share it with you so you can speed up your chicken and dumpling process too!
Ingredients for Chicken and Dumplings
I promise most of the ingredients are probably already in your fridge or spice rack.
(Full instructions are in recipe card at the bottom of this post!)
- Canned Biscuits
- Bay Leaf
- Chicken Broth
- Frozen peas and carrots, optional
- Frozen green beans, optional
- Heavy cream OR one tablespoon of butter mixed with 3 tablespoon of milk
What to serve with this dish
These garlic cheese biscuits go with these dumplings so well! They’re easy to make and the cheesy flavor, combined with the fluffy biscuit, is incredible!
More Instant Pot Recipes
While you have your Instant Pot out already, you may want to whip up a batch of the Panera Bread Copycat Broccoli Cheddar soup!
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup Onions
- 5 biscuits Canned biscuits
- 1 1/4 Pounds Chicken diced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 leaves Bay Leaf
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Frozen pea and carrots optional
- 1/4 cup Frozen green beans optional
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream OR one tablespoon of butter mixed with 3 tablespoon of milk
- Cut biscuits into 6 equal sizes
- Melt the butter in the Instapot on the sauté setting. Add the onion and stir until onions become translucent about 3-5 minutes. Turn off the sauté.
- Add the chicken. Coat the onion and chicken with the flour till everything is coated.
- Add bay leaves and salt and pepper.
- Add bay leaves, salt and pepper, chicken broth, and biscuits.
- Cover and select Pressure Cook from the settings and set the time to 8 minutes.
- Once the 8 minutes are finished allow it to slow release for 10 minute.
- After the 10 minutes, open the quick release button to let the remaining pressure out.
- Add heavy cream or milk and butter mix and stir. If adding vegetables add frozen peas, carrots and green beans and stir till warmed. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add salt, if need.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
What Did You Think?
If you tried this recipe, we’d love to know what you think! Rate this recipe and/or drop a comment to let us know!
Thank you, Elise, for sharing this recipe with us, along with your carrot salad that everyone seems to love too!
More Comforting Recipes
Pin this Chicken and Dumplings Recipes for Later: