This cool whip fruit salad is not only an easy dessert salad to whip up for a potluck but it’s great to snack on during the week! Use canned fruits, Cool Whip, and marshmallows to create this dessert fluff salad in only 5 minutes!
The summer months tend to bring on a special occasion where you want to take a side dish or dessert along with you! And things like Bbq’s, outdoor parties, birthday celebrations, church potlucks and more, are usually events where guests are asked to bring their favorite recipes.
Although you can use all fresh fruits for this recipe, using some canned fruit is convenient, and much faster! (Save the fresh fruit for this fruit board with fruit dip!)
You can take out what you may not want and you can add in other fruits! It’s a flexible creamy fruit salad recipe so you can change things up as you prefer!
- Container of Cool Whip
- jar Maraschino cherries
- seedless green grapes
- mini marshmallows
- can mandarin oranges (we also use these in our Orange Fluff Salad)
- can pineapple tidbits
- Optional topping – shredded sweetened coconut flakes
See the full recipe card below for quantities and full instructions for this old fashioned recipe.
- Add Cool Whip in to a large bowl.
- Next, add reserved Maraschino cherry juice, then fold gently until combined.
- Next, add cherries and grapes…
- mini marshmallows and oranges…
- then pineapple wedges and then gently stir until evenly combined.
Once combined, you can serve right away or you can refrigerate for later!
If there are ingredients or different fruit that you’d like to take out or add, you can do so very easily! Here are some other suggestions that we love!
- fresh strawberries (or other fresh berries)
- cream cheese
- pudding mix (like the vanilla pudding mix we used in this apple dessert salad)
- crushed pineapple instead of wedges
- canned fruit cocktail (make sure to drain if already using cherry juice)
- pineapple juice instead of cherry juice (but I LOVE the color the cherry juice gives this recipe!)
- sour cream (for a more tart flavor – you may want to add some other sweetness to help offset the “sour”.)
- cottage cheese (it adds a great texture to a salad like this)
- whipped topping or homemade whipped cream instead of Cool Whip
- vanilla yogurt
- flavored mini marshmallows
Although this recipe is delicious without it, you can top it off with shredded sweetened coconut flakes for some added texture and flavor for summer!
If you have leftovers of this delicious fruit salad, you can store it in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap for up to 3-days.
Yes! Although there are different variations, the two are very similar and commonly called both.
You can! You can use any kind of plain whipped topping from the store or you can make your own. However the texture of the Cool Whip tends to be more airy and not as heavy, which is what makes this salad so light and fluffy.
Yes! If planning to take this to a party or gathering, it’s easy to make this a day in advance if desired. Just chill until ready to serve!
Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- 10 oz. maraschino cherries whole, reserve 3 tablespoons of juice, then drain
- 1 cup seedless green grapes halved
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 10.5 ounces can mandarin orange segments drained
- 10 ounces can pineapple tidbits drained
- 2/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut optional
- Add Cool Whip and reserved Maraschino cherry juice to a large mixing bowl, then fold gently until combined.
- Add cherries, grapes, marshmallows, orange segments, and pineapple tidbits to the bowl.
- Toss gently until well mixed and coated.
- Add optional topping then serve or refrigerate!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.