Cheesy Chicken: Cheese and chicken go hand in hand and this cheesy chicken casserole dish is going to be your favorite go-to fall, casserole recipe.
Four cheeses go into this simple cheesy chicken bake recipe and it is absolutely mouth-watering and worthy of the “best family dinners” list.
Big fan of this cheesy chicken breast recipe? You should try out this Chicken Grilled Cheese or this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta recipe next because they also contain chicken and cheeses for that loveable comfort meal.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It uses a few ingredients: With only 9 easy-to-find simple ingredients, this cheesy chicken casserole recipe uses items that you may even have on hand.
- Make-ahead recipe: You can easily make this recipe ahead of time and then reheat it to serve. Scroll down to the end of this post for my tips!
- Ready in only 35 minutes: Talk about a quick and easy dinner idea! This recipe, from start to finish, only takes about half an hour.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients below with some relevant notes. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- Chicken Breast – We used fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Cheeses – This recipe calls for four separate cheeses; cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
- Garlic – We used mined garlic for this recipe, but you could definitely use fresh garlic that you chop up yourself!
- Parsley – This is a great serving ingredient, but definitely optional.
Sometimes substitutions are necessary because of ingredients that are unavailable or needed for dietary restrictions. Here are some suggestions that can help:
- Cheeses – If you would like to make this recipe dairy-free, feel free to swap out the cheeses for your favorite DF varieties. Or, You can substitute the mozzarella cheese with provolone cheese, the cheddar cheese with Monterey jack cheese or Colby jack cheese, and the shredded parmesan cheese with grated parmesan cheese.
- Chicken – While we used chicken breast, you could easily use other cuts of chicken for this recipe. You could also use rotisserie chicken breast! Keep in mind that the texture and flavor might vary a little bit.
- Garlic – You can substitute the minced garlic with 2 tablespoons of garlic powder (not garlic salt) if you prefer.
This is a sentence or two about some variations that can take place if applicable. If nothing to put here, it can be removed.
- Cook Method – You can also make this cheesy garlic chicken in your slow cooker/crockpot. Prepare as instructed but instead of a 9×13 baking dish, you can use a 6–8-quart crockpot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. This method would also make excellent cheesy shredded chicken and make for wonderful comfort food.
- Cheeses – You could easily swap out the cheeses for any of your favorites. Swap in Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Provolone, Colby Jack, or Monterey Jack for even more flavor to these cheesy chicken breasts!
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Cheesy Chicken
To make this delicious baked cheesy chicken recipe, you will begin by combining the ingredients aside from the chicken and then you’ll spread that mixture on top of the chicken breasts before baking.
This Baked Cheesy Chicken Breast is broken into 3 components:
- making the cheesy mixture
- spreading on the cheese mixture
- baking to perfection
I suggest making this dish right before you plan to serve it. That way it is perfectly warm for your busy night dinner!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
Begin by preheating your oven to 375 degrees and spraying a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP 1. Make the Cheese Mixture. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, melted butter, and Italian seasoning until well mixed. There may be clumps of cream cheese, and this is ok. (Image 1).
Tip: If you don’t want the cream cheese chunks, let the cream cheese come to room temperature prior to making this recipe.
STEP 2. Add Chicken to Baking Dish and Smother with Cheese Mixture. Place chicken breasts into the baking dish and spread the creamy cheese sauce over the breasts evenly. (Images 2&3).
STEP 3. Bake. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of each chicken breast reaches at least 165 degrees. (Image 4).
STEP 4. Serve. Top the cooked chicken breasts with parsley and serve warm.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving. This dish is best served warm, however, make sure to let it sit for a few minutes and do not eat straight out of the oven.
- Use room-temperature cream cheese. While not necessary, it will help the layering of cream cheese be spread throughout the dish.
📋 Recipe FAQs
You can make this cheesy baked chicken recipe from frozen chicken breasts, you’ll just need to adjust the cooking time to 45-60 minutes depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. Always check the internal temperature of each chicken breast and make sure it reaches at least 165 degrees.
Yes, you can make this cheesy garlic chicken ahead of time and freeze it in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months. To thaw, place the chicken in your refrigerator for about 24 hours or until fully thawed throughout. It’s not a good idea to thaw meat at room temperature due to food-borne illnesses while the outside meat is warmer than the inside meat.
To reheat this cheesy garlic chicken, you can heat it in an oven pre-heated to 350 for about 15 minutes or you can also use a microwave to heat individual servings. Microwave time will vary depending on the size of each portion.
Yes, you can make this cheesy garlic chicken with bone-in chicken. You’ll need to adjust the time and temperature to 400 degrees for about 60 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Always check the internal temperature of each chicken breast closest to the bone of the chicken. Make sure it reaches at least 165 degrees.
Chicken pairs well with a variety of cheeses like Parmesan for classics like chicken parmesan, and mozzarella for dishes like chicken pizza or caprese chicken. Cheddar cheese can offer the best cheesy sauce for the chicken. Ultimately, it depends on your preference and the recipe you’re cooking up!
Chicken stays juicy when it’s not overcooked – aim for an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) but avoid going much higher. Using marinades, brines, or a simple olive oil and seasoning rub can also help lock in moisture and flavor.
Chicken tastes delicious when it’s seasoned well with herbs, spices, or marinades that complement your preferences. Cooking it just right, whether grilling, roasting, or pan-frying, also brings out its natural flavors and juices.
🍽 What to Serve with Cheesy Chicken
This baked chicken with cheese on top goes well with some Homemade Foccacia Bread or Air Fryer Zucchini. If you want to keep things easy for your busy weeknights, simply make up some classic white rice using instant rice and a side salad for a tasty and fitting side dish for this perfect meal.
This cheesy garlic chicken can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days. It can also be stored in your freezer in a freezer-safe container for up to 4 months.
🐔 More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
If you love chicken casseroles, I think you will love these yummy and easy chicken recipes next time!
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a “star” rating below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 ounces cream cheese one block, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- parsley optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, butter, and Italian seasoning until well mixed. There may be clumps of cream cheese, and this is ok.
- Place chicken breasts into the baking dish and spread the cream cheese mixture over the breasts evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of each chicken breast reaches at least 165 degrees.
- Top the cooked chicken breasts with parsley and serve warm.
- Use room-temperature cream cheese if you do not want the cream cheese chunks in the cheese mixture.
- Serving with parsley is optional.
- Minced garlic is preferred over garlic powder.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.