Slow Cooker Cabbage: Did you know that you can make a slow cooker cabbage using only a few simple ingredients? This is a delicious comfort food slow cooker recipe that you can toss in, in the late afternoon and enjoy with some nice Italian bread a few hours later. This will soon become one of your favorite side dishes or even main dishes, for sure!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It uses a few ingredients: With only a few simple ingredients, this recipe is one of the most budget-friendly and easiest crockpot cabbage recipes!
- Simple recipe: This is one of the easiest crockpot cabbage recipes in that it comes together in three easy steps that require nearly no work at all. It truly is the best recipe!
- Ready in only 2 hours: Talk about a fast slow cooker dinner option or even side dish pairing!
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients below with some relevant notes. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- Chicken Broth – We used a reduced-sodium chicken broth for this slow cooker recipe.
- Green Cabbage – You’re going to use a whole head of cabbage for this recipe. Pick one of good size and it’ll yield some super tender cabbage!
- Seasonings – We recommend salt and black pepper for this recipe, but you could easily dress it up with some more of your favorite seasonings. Some garlic and onion powder or Italian seasoning might add some delicious flavor to this cabbage dish!
Sometimes substitutions are necessary because of ingredients that are unavailable or needed for dietary restrictions. Here are some suggestions that can help:
- Chicken Broth – Feel free to use a broth of your preference for this recipe (like beef broth for example). If you are vegetarian or vegan, vegetable broth can easily replace the called-for chicken broth.
- Cabbage – You could opt for red cabbage for this slow cooking recipe instead of the called-for green cabbage. Keep in mind that the flavors will vary.
You can easily change up this recipe by cooking it differently or by adding some additional ingredients.
- Cook Method – This recipe can also be made on the stove. Simply follow the same directions, add everything to a large pot on the stove, cover, and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- Extras – Want to add some more to this basic cabbage soup recipe? Some kielbasa slices, bacon, ground beef, or potatoes are some different ways to make a yummy dinner out of this recipe. You could also add some chopped onion to give it some more flavor.
A slow cooker is required for this recipe.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Slow Cooker Cabbage
Making slow-cooker cabbage is extremely simple.
This Cabbage Soup is broken into 3 components:
- chopping the cabbage
- dumping everything into the crock pot
- slow cooking time
We suggest eating this cabbage soup right away, so make sure to time the cooking time with your dinner time accordingly!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
STEP 1. Chop the cabbage. Chop cabbage in to bite-size pieces. (Image 1).
Tip: Keep in mind that the size of the cabbage chunks will be the size you end up eating. I chopped the cabbage up into about 1/2 cube sizes.
STEP 2. Add to the slow cooker. Place in slow cooker and add chicken broth. (Image 2).
STEP 3. Add butter. Slice butter into small squares and place on top of cabbage, and then add salt and pepper according to taste. (Just remember that you can always add more after but it’s hard to take it away after.) (Image 3).
STEP 4. Cook. Add salt and pepper then cook on high for 2 hours. Can do 2.5 to 3 hours if you want softer. (Image 4).
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Enjoy right away. This crock pot cabbage recipe is best served warm and right away.
- Overcooking. If the cabbage cooks too long, it can become mushy, so if you prefer your cabbage to have more texture, watch the cooking time as all slow cookers can cook differently.
📋 Recipe FAQs
Yes, you can. Cooking it too long and make it become mushy.
No, you do not have to soak cabbage before cooking.
We suggest 2-2.5 hours for the perfect texture.
🍽 What to Serve with Slow Cooker Cabbage
This recipe can be a main dish or side dish. It pairs well with some yummy and fresh warm bread or white rice.
This cabbage recipe could also be a great side to some beef brisket or sliced keilbasa sausage, like we did with our Instant Pot Cabbage and Kielbasa!
If you have leftover cabbage, allow it to fully cool and store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 3-4 days.
🥘 More Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
If you are a big fan of easy-to-make slow cooker recipes, I think you will become obsessed with the ones below.
If you’re a fan of cabbage, make sure to try this red cabbage soup too!
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a “star” rating below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
Slow Cooker Cabbage
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz can
- 1 head of cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste Just remember that you can always add more after but it’s hard to take it away after.
- Chop cabbage in to bite-size pieces.
- Place in slow cooker and add chicken broth.
- Slice butter in to small squares and place on top of cabbage, and then add salt and pepper according to taste. (Just remember that you can always add more after but it’s hard to take it away after.)
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Can do 2.5 to 3 hours if you want softer.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.