This taco layer dip is an easy Mexican layered dip to make! It has 7 layers: refried beans, avocado, taco seasoning mixture, shredded cheese, green onions, black olives & cilantro!
Ready in minutes, and different than our baked taco dip, it is one of the best easy appetizers for any party or to serve while waiting on Dorito chicken casserole to bake in the oven or these cheesy beefy burritos to cook on the stove-top!
What is taco layer dip?
This popular appetizer has been called MANY different things! Some call it:
- 7 layer dip
- Taco dip
- Seven layer taco dip
- Mexican layered dip
- Ultimate taco tip
No matter what you call it, it’s ultimately the same appetizer recipe you typically find at parties (especially Super Bowl parties) or to serve along with dishes like tacos or taco soup!
It consists of many layers of different ingredients like refried beans, guacamole (or avocado), tomatoes, black olives, taco seasoning/cream cheese/sour cream, shredded cheese, and more, that you can dip tortilla chips in to, crackers, veggies, or even pile on top of nachos for the ultimate dish!
What you’ll love about this recipe:
- You’ll love that this easy taco dip recipe doesn’t use wild ingredients but rather simple ingredients that you can get at almost every grocery store.
- It can be made quickly, so if you need something last-minute it’s a great dish to make and take or make and serve at home with your favorite chips.
- It has become a popular recipe that so many people love, so you probably won’t have any leftovers with the right crowd!
What are the layers in a seven layer dip?
Although you can substitute ingredients, and even arrange them differently, these are the most common layers in a 7 layer dip:
- refried beans
- mashed avocado (or guacamole)
- taco dip mixture (taco seasoning mixed with cream cheese & sour cream)
- shredded cheese (cheddar cheese, fiesta cheese, or desired type)
- green onions
- fresh tomatoes
- black olives
You can also sprinkle on fresh cilantro if desired!
See the full printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
How to make classic seven layer taco dip
- In a small bowl, (yet big enough for cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning) and using a mixer, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning mix, set aside.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, casserole dish or serving tray, spread the refried beans on the button.
- Next, carefully add a layer of guacamole or layer of mashed avocado on top of the beans, spread evenly.
- For the third layer, gently spread the sour cream mixture on top of the avocado.
- Next, layer on the shredded cheese on top of the sour cream/cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle diced green onions on top of cheese.
- Layer on the diced tomatoes
- Top tomatoes with black olives
- Sprinkle on chopped fresh cilantro if desired
- Serve this cold dip with chips, crackers, veggies like carrots,
Can you use homemade taco seasoning?
Absolutely! I used a store-bought package of taco seasoning for this recipe to mix with the cream cheese and sour cream. However, you can use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning instead of one, 1oz. packet.
How to store leftover dip:
The best way to store the dip is in an airtight container. However, if you have a lot left over, you can cover the baking dish with plastic wrap.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days!
More toppings ideas:
If you have some extra toppings you’d like to add or substitute some of the items for, you can easily do that with:
- cooked ground beef
- pico de gallo
- chopped bell peppers
- drained, diced green chilies
- chopped red onions
- lime juice (squeeze real lime juices over the top – just not too much or it could become watery)
- taco sauce (such as Old el Paso, Ortega, Taco Bell)
- chili powder (sprinkle in to the cream cheese mixture)
- taco meat
- cooked shredded chicken (then it would be similar to our taco chicken casserole)
- storebought or homemade salsa
Serving 7 layer dip cold is ideal, so the toppings stay crisp and fresh. TIP: keeping tomatoes room temperature before assembling and serving is best, as refrigerated tomatoes lose tons of flavor.
The tip is good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, as long as it’s covered and stored properly, in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap.
You can serve it on a platter, in the baking dish it was assembled in or you can even layer the dip in to individual cups for more of a single-serve type of appetizer! Serve with chips, crackers, vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers, peppers, and other crunchy veggies.
If you love dips, then you’re also going to love this homemade cheese dip, Buffalo Bacon Blue Cheese Dip, and this Creamy Reuben Dip!
If you’re hosting a fiesta, you’ll also want to think about making this queso dip recipe!
Easy Taco Layer Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2.25 oz. sliced black olives drained
- 16 oz. refried beans
- 2 small tomatoes diced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 4 small avocados mashed (or use this guacamole recipe)
- 1 oz. taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheese Mexican, fiesta, cheddar or favorite type
- fresh cilantro chopped, if desired
- In a bowl, and using a mixer, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning, set aside.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, casserole dish or serving tray, spread the refried beans on the bottom.
- Next, carefully layer the avocado or guacamole on top of the beans, spread evenly.
- For the third layer, gently spread the sour cream & cream cheese mixture on top of the avocado.
- Next, layer on the shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle the chopped green onions on top of cheese.
- Layer on the diced tomatoes. (Tip: while chopping, remove the seeds/juices so the dip doesn't become watery.)
- Add the black olives on top of the tomatoes.
- If desired, sprinkle on chopped fresh cilantro or suggested other toppings in the blog post.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This 7 layer dip recipe originally appeared when I created and featured it on TornadoughAlli.com!
Heather Rose says
Super easy to make and always a crowd pleaser!
I totally agree! Thank you so much Heather! So glad that you liked this taco layer dip!
This dip was the first thing to go as we watched the game! So easy and super delicious, this will be popping up on the menu a lot!
Haha! The same thing happens in my house with this taco dip too! Thank you so much for sharing!
This is one of my favorites dips. I could go for a pan full right now. Thanks for the great recipe.
It’s one of my favorite dip recipes too! Thank you so much!