Chicken Taco Seasoning: Make your own seasoning that helps you know what’s in it, unlike the store-bought packets. This homemade chicken taco seasoning makes the best chicken taco around, especially baked crispy chicken tacos!
Our favorite way to season taco recipes is with this homemade taco seasoning mix. Some of our favorite recipes to use this spice mix in, are this taco chicken casserole and these chicken street tacos.
⭐️ Why This Recipe Works
- Clean ingredients: This seasoning blend is made using ingredients that you probably already have in your spice cabinet (or can easily get at the grocery store) and you don’t have to worry about ingredients in it that you can commonly find in a packet of taco seasoning; such as corn syrup solids, food dye, and corn maltodextrin.
- Make a big batch: Even though this recipe makes one small batch, the best part is that you can make a double batch, triple, or larger batch of this spice blend and store it in a container such as a mason jar, and use it as needed, and is ready for you on busy weeknights.
- Use it in other recipes too! Even though this is a chicken taco seasoning that you may think you can only use in a chicken recipe, you can absolutely use it in a ground turkey or ground beef recipe too! We love it in this hot taco dip, this taco soup recipe, this taco pasta, taco pinwheels, and this taco layer dip.
This recipe makes about 3 Tablespoons of chicken taco seasoning and will be ready to go in your ground chicken tacos, turkey tacos, shredded chicken, or your favorite Mexican dishes!
🧾 Ingredients Needed
Just a few basic ingredients are all it takes to make this easy homemade taco mix!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
If you’re shorthanded on some of the spices and ingredients, you may want to substitute some of the items. Here are tips that can help:
- Garlic Powder – if you’re short on garlic powder, you could use garlic salt instead but reduce the amount of salt that the recipe calls for.
- Smoked Paprika – if you have regular paprika instead of smoked paprika, that should be just fine.
- Oregano – coriander can be substituted for oregano if desired.
Buy the spice jars I use, and love! Use code: FANTAB10 for 10% off.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Chicken Taco Seasoning
It’s super easy to make this homemade seasoning blend!
I suggest making a large batch so you can store it and have it on hand when you need to make a quick taco recipe.
STEP 1. Mix. Add all of the ingredients/seasonings to a small glass bowl (Image 1) and stir until combined (Image 2).
STEP 2. Use or store. If using right away, using the full batch (about 3 Tablespoons) is delicious with about a pound of meat.
Tip: Add to your meat as you normally would or mix with 1/3 cup of tomato sauce for an enhanced tomato-based flavor.
Feel free to use less/more based on your taste preference. We use all 3 Tablespoons for one pound of meat.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Flexible. If you prefer stronger garlic, saltiness, or spicier seasoning, this recipe is flexible and you can add more or less of the ingredients to suit your taste.
- Gift Giving. If you love making DIY or homemade gifts, this seasoning is a great give to package up in to these small cute jars!
📋 Recipe FAQs
There’s not much of a difference between the two, and both seasonings can be used for beef and chicken.
Yes. Fully cook the meat you’re making, and then coat it with the taco seasoning.
Store homemade taco seasoning in an airtight container and make sure it’s in a cool, dark place, such as a pantry or a cabinet.
🍅 More Recipes You’ll Love
If you love finding ways to skip store-bought recipes and make your own homemade recipes, you’ll also love these:
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a review below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl, until evenly blended as possible.
- Use as you would in your favorite taco recipe or store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.This makes 3 Tablespoons of your own taco seasoning. Use this for 1 pound of meat. (You can use 2 Tablespoons if desired but we like a stronger taco flavor in our dishes!)
- **You may find that you want to add 1/3 cup of water to help the meat absorb the seasoning more. Or, instead of water, you can use 1/3 cup tomato sauce to get an extra tomato flavor.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Leave a Reply