Taco Soup Recipe: This easy recipe is exactly how to make taco soup in our house! Just a few ingredients and it’s one of the best taco soup recipes we’ve ever had! 8 Can Taco Soup? This only has 6, with a couple of other ingredients and you have a hearty soup ready in minutes!
Taco Soup Recipe
I’ll never forget when my sister made this taco soup recipe for my family… oh about 10 years ago. From that moment, I had her give me her recipe (which I found out was actually from a friend of hers), and it has been in my family cookbook ever since.
Random Side Note: Do you have a family cookbook? I mean, I love Pinterest, but there’s just something so special about having the family favorites all in one place! If you do, I saw that Emily Ley has an adorable family recipe binder now, and I’m super tempted to snag it.
Anyway, let’s get back to the taco soup. I have squirrel moments at times, and that was a definite squirrel moment.
With permission from my sister, I’m sharing the recipe of this taco soup with you all, (even though I’ve changed it up a bit) and I even made a little video for you to see just how simple it is! So after the video, you’ll find the recipe photos and recipe down below!
Taco Soup Recipe
I start by browning my ground beef RIGHT in the stock pot. Less dishes make life as a busy mama so much better. Right?
The beef that I use is super lean from my parents farm, but if you find that your beef cooks off a lot of fat, you can drain it and add it right back in to your stockpot once it’s browned if you like.
Next, add in the remaining ingredients: 2 cans of chili beans, 2 cans of corn (drained), 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, 1 can water, 2 packages of taco seasoning, and salt to taste!
NOTE: You can get away with one package of taco seasoning if that’s all you have, but I LOVE flavor in my soups, and find it more bland than I prefer with just one. But if you only have one package, you can also add other fun seasonings like garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, etc.
The beautiful thing about soup, is that you can taste test it as you go!
Stir it all together and let simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes to let the flavors blend with one another!
Taco Soup Toppings:
Now you can get as creative and fun as you like with toppings for taco soup recipes, but my favorites are chips (we like to dip the chips in and eat it like a dip) and shredded cheese. But others in my family couldn’t eat it without sour cream on top too!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 15-ounce cans chili beans
- 2 15-ounce cans corn drained
- 2 14.5-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can water chili bean can filled with water
- 2 packages taco seasoning You can get away with only one if that's all you have!
- salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- In a stockpot, brown ground beef until fully cooked.
- Drain beef if need be and return to the stockpot.
- Add in remaining ingredients, stir to combine and let simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Optional: Add in other seasonings to kick up the flavor a bit if desired! (Garlic Powder, Cumin, Chili Pepper) But this recipe tends to be kid friendly!
- Top each serving with desired toppings and serve!