What makes these rice krispie treats the best? Adding a bit of milk to the marshmallows makes them creamy and helps make them become a gooey treat that’s hard to beat!
Even though we absolutely love these chocolate rice krispie treats, these cookies and cream rice krispie treats, and of course… these caramel rice krispie treats, sometimes there’s nothing better than classic homemade rice krispie treats.
⭐️ Why This Recipe Works
- It’s a classic! You’ll commonly find this favorite dessert at family gatherings, holidays, summer BBQs, and many more events. It’s something that guests see on the table and they trust it! So why not be the one to bring the best rice krispie treat recipe there is?
- No bake: When you need something to travel or you simply don’t want to have to worry about keeping a dessert cold or warm, this is a great option! It’s great for camping, boating, and many more trips!
- Bakery style: Have you ever been to a bakery where the delicious treats are large, thick, and look so appealing? If made using the tips below, you can have your own bakery-style treats too!
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients with some relevant notes. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- Butter – We use unsalted for this recipe but you can use salted if you prefer. Sometimes the slight saltiness combined with the sweetness is the perfect touch.
- Milk – You can use whole milk or 2% for this recipe, or even see the substitution ideas below for a twist.
Sometimes switching things out can be fun, or a necessity if you’re short on items. Here are some ideas of what can be substituted if you’d like:
- Cereal – It’s easy to switch the types of cereal out if needed. Some ideas that we’ve tried or these Fruity Pebbles treats and these Lucky Charms treats. However, you can also try Cheerios, Golden Grahams, and more.
- Milk – if you’re short on milk, check to see if you have a can of sweetened condensed milk on hand for a substitute.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make this Classic Dessert
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!*
Prepare a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
STEP 1. Butter. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter (Image 1).
STEP 2. Marshmallow mixture. Then add the milk and vanilla extract (Image 2).
STEP 3. Marshmallow mixture. Next, add the mini marshmallows to the butter mixture (Image 3).
Step 4. Melt. Stirring constantly, melt marshmallows over low heat until they are fully melted. This may take around 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat (Image 4).
STEP 5. Add cereal. Next, stir in the rice krispie cereal until it’s fully mixed in (Images 5 & 6).
STEP 6. Press in pan. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, gently pressing the mixture down.
Tip: Don’t press too hard, as this can make the treats hard. (See more tips below.)
STEP 7. Cool and cut. Let it cool and stiffen, and then cut into squares and enjoy!
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Nonstick Pressing. Use the back of a spoon, the bottom of a smooth juice glass, or even your fingers, that’s greased with cooking spray will make it even easier and less sticky when pressing.
- Thinner treats. If preferred, you can place the treats in a half sheet pan and this will result in a thinner rice krispie bar.
📋 Recipe FAQs
You can, even though they’re best enjoyed the day of. Just make sure to store them properly to ensure freshness.
Once cooled, you can dump the large rectangle of treats on to a cutting board and then cut them evenly. However, you can also cut them right in the pan if needed.
Neither. However, you can freeze rice krispie treats if needed.
Store any leftover rice krispie treats in an airtight container or plastic bag. Make sure it is sealed the best way possible, to help the treats stay soft and fresh for as long as possible.
Wrap properly in freezer paper and in a freezer bag or freezer container for up to 1-2 months. Remove from freezer and allow to call at room temperature and then enjoy.
🍦 More No-Bake Recipes
If you love no-bake recipes, then you’ll love these other treats that can be made with no oven or cooking involved:
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a “star” rating below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
The BEST Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups mini marshmallows
- 10 cups puffed rice cereal
- Prepare a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Then add the milk,vanilla extract and the mini marshmallows. Stirring constantly, melt marshmallows over low heat until they are fully melted. This may take around 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Next, stir in the rice krispie cereal until it's fully mixed in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, gently pressing the mixture down. (Don't press too hard, as this can make the treats hard.)
- Let it cool and stiffen, an then cut into squares and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.