Rotel Dip: An easy dip recipe with simple ingredients, cooked on the stove top, that’s a hearty appetizer recipe or snack idea that’s perfect for game day or a party!
This Rotel dip recipe is ready in about 10 minutes, and it uses Velveeta, Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles, and cooked ground beef or sausage.
This delicious dip is always going to be a hit at parties because you can serve it alongside tortilla chips, or bagel chips, and vegetables and you can add other ingredients to put a fun spin on it. This cowboy queso recipe is a great example of taking Velveeta cheese dip, and adding more ingredients, like black beans, to it to take it to a whole other level! Or if you have a smoker, making smoked queso may be a fun way to make a cheesy dip for a party!
This pretzel cheese dip is a similar easy recipe, that uses cheddar cheese and a few other ingredients, instead of Velveeta. But using processed cheese like Velveeta makes this Rotel dip smooth and some even prefer the flavor.
⭐️ Why This Recipe Works
- This Rotel dip uses 3 ingredients: 3 ingredients… that’s it! (Or 2 if you want to omit the meat!)
- Quick recipe: When cooked on the stove top, it only takes about 10 minutes (Plus some if you still need to brown ground beef.)
- Thicker dip: Adding the ground beef makes this dip a bit thicker (like our warm taco dip) and is a nice change from the regular queso dip.
🧾 Ingredients Needed
I’ve highlighted a couple of ingredients with some relevant notes. Aside from this, the ingredients needed are pretty basic.
- Velveeta – There are multiple sizes of the block melty cheese but for this recipe, we recommend the 16-ounce block, although you can double or even reduce the size of this recipe if needed.
- Can of Rotel – You don’t have to use the actual brand of “Rotel” but it is recommended to use the canned green chiles and diced tomatoes so you can take advantage of the juices that come in the can.
There can be substitutions for this recipe in case you’re out of something or need to change something for dietary needs.
- Ground Beef – You can absolutely use something different for the meat if desired; such as ground turkey, ground sausage, or your favorite meat substitute. (Just remember to drain excess grease before mixing with the cubed Velveeta and Rotel.)
- Rotel – Can of diced tomatoes and can of green chiles. If you only have a can of each of these items, you can add both of them instead, trying to measure out about 10 ounces of the two, combined.
Want to add some things to your Rotel dip? Here are some ways to mix things up:
- Seasonings – although we don’t add seasonings to this recipe, you can add some things to spice it up if desired. Such as; taco seasoning, chili powder, and hot sauce. You may also love adding chopped green onions to the top of this easy Rotel dip too.
- Milk – Sometimes cheesy Rotel dip can be too thick, so if you prefer to add something like milk or heavy cream, you absolutely can.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Rotel Dip
It’s very easy to make this Rotel cheese dip, and you’ll find it’s one of the easiest dips you can make just for fun or for the big game because it’s an absolute crowd pleaser.
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full recipe below!*
STEP 1. Slice Velveeta cheese in to small, 1-inch cubes. (Image above).
Tip: If your ground beef isn’t cooked yet, make sure you do this ahead of time, and drain the excess fat first!
STEP 2. Combine ingredients. In a sauce pan or enameled cast iron pan, add cooked ground beef, Velveeta cubes, and a can of Rotel (undrained).
STEP 3. Over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, melt the Velveeta, Rotel, and ground beef together until the cheese has fully melted (about 10 minutes).
STEP 4. Turn to low and let simmer if needed, until ready to serve!
You’ll need a large skillet, enameled cast iron or a saucepan to cook this Rotel dip on the stove top.
However, you can also cook this in a crock pot, or even keep it on a warm setting for 2-3 hours too!
🥄 Rotel Dip in the Slow Cooker
To make this dip in the slow cooker, simply add cooked ground beef to the slow cooker, layer cubed Velveeta on top, and then the can of Rotel. Turn the slow cooker to “low” and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
💭 Recipe Pro Tips
- Fresh cilantro. Serve chopped fresh cilantro on the side of this Rotel dip. If serving this at a party, some may not like the flavor of the fresh herb, so it’s good to let the guests top their own if desired.
- Don’t cook it too hot, too fast. If the cheese is cooked too high, or too fast, it can burn the cheese. A slow melt is best, and stirring often is key.
📋 Recipe FAQs
It’s made of three ingredients (sometimes two), Velveeta cheese, Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chiles), and ground beef or ground sausage. Sometimes Rotel can be made without meat if desired.
Although we haven’t tested it for this recipe, swiss is a soft cheese that is sometimes used as a substitute for Velveeta.
Sometimes when Rotel dip cools down, it can become thick. You can add milk to thin it out to remain a creamy cheese dip.
❄️ Storage, Freeze, Thaw, Reheat
How to Store: If you have leftover Rotel, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Freeze: You can freeze Rotel dip, in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Thaw: To thaw, place the frozen Rotel in the refrigerator overnight, so it gently thaws.
Reheat: If reheating from being refrigerated, you can reheat it by using the microwave, by stovetop, or even in a slow cooker. You may want to add a 1/4 cup of milk or so if it’s too thick even after reheating.
🧀 More Dip Recipes You’ll Love
If you love dip recipes or if you’re looking for more dips to serve at a party, here are some of our reader’s top favorites:
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a review below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
- 16 ounces Velveeta or similar processed cheese
- 10 ounces Rotel or can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 pound cooked ground beef, drained or cooked ground sausage, drained
- Slice Velveeta cheese in to small, 1-inch cubes.
- In a sauce pan or enameled cast iron pan, add cooked ground beef, Velveeta cubes and the can of Rotel (undrained).
- Over low-medium heat, stirring occassionally, melt the Velveeta, Rotel and ground beef together until cheese has fully melted.
- Turn to low and let simmer if needed, until ready to serve!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Seriously so yummy!! Will definitely be making this for the Super Bowl!
Allyson Zea says
That’s perfect dip is great for game day! Everyone always loves it!
The best dip for game day! My husband loved this rotel dip!!