These Italian sliders are made with Italian meats, cheese, and optional banana peppers, all baked on seasoned buttered Hawaiian rolls.
Thanks to all of the 5-star reviews on these cheeseburger sliders, I knew more slider recipes were a must to add to our favorite main course and lunch recipes!
Not only are these wonderful as an easy meal but they’re the perfect snack or appetizer to make for football games, the holidays or any kind of party! (Along with these easy sloppy joe sliders and these fried chicken sliders!)
Serve these slider sandwiches as a main dish along with a fun side dish such as or serve them as an appetizer as a potluck!
Why you’ll love these Italian sandwich sliders
We kept the ingredients simple for these mini sandwiches so you can easily grab what you need at almost any grocery store.
You can mix up the ingredients to suit your taste preferences if you like! See substitution ideas below!
That Italian seasoning butter that’s brushed on the top of Hawaiian rolls before baking… now that’s something that will win your heart over, quickly.
- Package of Hawaiian buns
- 6 oz. package provolone
- 3.5 ounces salami (I used half of a 7 oz. package)
- 9 oz. package ham (I used thin, smoked ham but you could use black forest ham, or similar)
- 3.5 ounces or so of pepperoni (I used half of a 7 oz. package)
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon italian dressing seasoning packet
- banana peppers, optional
See the full recipe card at the bottom of this article, to see the ingredients and instructions all in one printable card.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the Hawaiian buns in half with a serrated knife, creating a top bun and a bottom bun.
- Line a baking dish (large enough to fit buns) with parchment paper.
- Place the bottom buns on parchment paper, inside of the baking dish, and add a layer of provolone cheese on top of the bread.
- Next, layer the meats (ham and salami)…
… then pepperonis and then finally, and banana peppers (if desired) across all the bottom buns.
- Then, add the top buns on the top of the peppers.
- Melt butter in a small bowl and stir in 1 Tablespoon of the Italian seasoning mix and stir until combined.
- Using a brush, brush the butter mixture on top of buns. (You may not use all of it, and you can save the remaining mixture to brush on after baking, if desired.)
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven on 350 degrees for 25 minutes, remove foil and then bake for an additional 5 minutes (if desired).
- If desired, brush additional melted seasoned butter on top.
Once they’re baked, take a knife and cut along the lines, making 12 individual sandwiches.
What goes well with Italian sliders?
This hot Italian sliders recipes are the perfect appetizer but can also be served as a main dish or side dish…
These sliders can be served as a main dish, with items such as potato chips or easy side dishes paired with them such as baked potato wedges, sweet potato fries or something like this fresh avocado salad!
Or, if you choose to serve these sliders as a side dish, you may want to pair them with a heart main dish such as this chili recipe, this Italian chopped salad or even this summer pasta recipe!
Substitutions and Variations
If you find that you’d like to substitute some of the items in this recipe, whether that’s because you can’t find them or because you have different taste preferences, that’s absolutely ok! Here are some suggestions if you need some ideas:
- Bread: Regular rolls (instead of Hawaiian rolls)
- Meat: You can absolutely change up the types of meats and switch them out for types such as turkey, roast beef, pastrami, etc. but using Italian meats like this recipe calls for, are perfect for Italian sliders.
- Cheese: I chose to use provolone for these but that can easily be changed out for american, swiss, pepperjack, cheddar or your favorite cheese!
- Banana Peppers: As mentioned in the recipe, the banana peppers are optional but they give an amazing “twang” in flavor. If you’re not a fan of banana peppers, or don’t have any on hand, you can sub for pickles, or even red onion.
More Topping Ideas
If more toppings are desired, here are some of our other favorites to add to these easy Italian sliders, whether that’s on the sandwich or sprinkled on top of the buns:
- red peppers
- black olives
- marinara sauce
- parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- fresh basil
- dijion mustard
If you have leftover sliders, they can be stored in an airtight container or plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat the sliders, they heat back up in the oven really well, or in the air fryer.
If you want to make different varieties of these sliders, you can choose to do half of the sliders with certain toppings, and the other half with other meats and cheeses.
You can! I prefer to make them, without the butter topping, and without baking, and then freeze. Freeze in a freezer container or bag. When ready for them, I’ll bake them for about 25 minutes, remove the foil, brush on the butter, and then bake for the additional 5 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
They absolutely are, however they can also be a great main dish and a wonderful side dish as well! They’re perfect for lunch or even dinner.
This depends on how you’re serving them. If serving them as a main dish, you can count on 2-3 sliders per person. If serving them as an appetizer or side dish, 1-2 sliders per person.
Love slider recipes?
If you love sliders as much as we do, you’re going to love these breakfast sliders too!
If you love easy recipes like this one, you’ll also love to see how to cook burgers in the oven and these hot ham and cheese sandwiches.
Did you make this? I’d be so grateful if you left a review below to let me know what you thought! Then, the next time you need a quick and easy recipe, come back to Fantabulosity to browse all of my easy recipes!
Italian Sliders with Hawaiian Rolls
- 12 count package of Hawaiian rolls
- 6 ounce package provolone slices
- 9 ounce package thin sliced ham
- 3.5 ounces salami slices I used half of a 7 ounce package)
- 3.5 ounces pepperoni give or take the amount – can be more/less
- 1 cup sliced banana peppers optional
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon Italian dressing seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the Hawaiian buns in half, creating a top bun and a bottom bun.
- Line a baking dish (large enough to fit buns) with parchment paper.Place the bottom buns on parchment paper, inside of the baking dish, and add a layer of provolone cheese on top of the bread.
- Next, layer the ham, salami and pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- If desired, add a layer of banana peppers across the top of the meat.
- Place the top buns on top of the banana peppers.
- Melt the butter in a small dish and add one Tablespoon of Italian dressing seasoning, and stir to combine.
- Brush butter across the tops of all the buns. (There may be some butter leftover, but this is perfect to brush on the buns after baking.)
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil after 25 minutes, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove sliders from oven and brush on more seasoned butter. Serve!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
katerina @ diethood.com says
These Italian Sliders are amazing! My family loved them so much!
Julia Lutsenko says
These are so great if you’re hosting! so easy to make and they disappear fast! Definitely a crowd pleaser!
My local store was out of Hawaiian rolls, so I just used dinner rolls. Still amazingly delicious!!
This sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try them!
Thank you Megan! I hope you love them as much as we do!!