Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies – Gluten Free Recipe: This easy, gluten-free recipe is a great way to start your day, and even perfect for the kiddos for a quick bite before school!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Breakfast around here usually consists of waffles, pancakes, chocolate muffins (the ones from Costco that have carrots and zucchini in them) or a bowl of cereal.
Now although most of those CAN have healthy alternatives, like the Butternut Squash Pancakes that I make, I still struggle with trying to find healthy breakfast recipes to add to the rotation.
But now, I’m super excited to be adding these Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies to the breakfast rotation. Something that I can make ahead of time, and send out the door with my boys before they head out to school if we’re running behind!
GET THE FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST…
Healthy Breakfast Cookies?
Well, I guess that depends on who you ask, what your diet consists of and your own opinion. But for me, this is a healthy option for my boys, or at least a healthier option than some breakfast items, by incorporating things like flax seed, honey, and applesauce.
Want to take out the chocolate chips? No problem! You can even replace those with raisins or nuts for some added flavor/texture or protein!
Are you looking to add more gluten-free items to your diet too? Well, then these will be fantastic for that! Just make sure to grab the gluten-free flour, oats, and other items to make sure you stay within the gluten-free guidelines.
In a large mixing bowl, add oats, flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
Then, in a medium mixing bowl, add peanut butter, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and egg. Stir to combine.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to incorporate all ingredients, and they’re ready for baking!
Don’t these look tasty and amazing!? I mean, my kids still can’t believe they get to eat COOKIES for breakfast.
It’s not a bad snack for “mom” either, when I’m finally ready to snack on something after I’ve had my 3rd cup of coffee.
Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies – Gluten Free Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups Gluten Free Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oats, flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add peanut butter, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and egg. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and place it onto the prepared baking sheet. Using clean hands or the bottom of a cup or bowl, smash the cookie so it flattens. The cookies do not spread out much during the baking process, so this step helps get the cookie shape. Add a few more chocolate chips on top for presentation.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are a golden brown and have firmed up a bit.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Love Breakfast Recipes?
I know, I do too. Although I don’t like to eat right away each morning, when I get hungry, it’s my favorite meal of the day!
If you do too, or just needing to add more breakfast recipes to your recipe boards on Pinterest, then you’ll LOVE these:
Biscuit + Gravy Dippers
… and many, many others in the breakfast archives that you can find HERE!