Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes: A side dish that can be served cut in half, cubed, or made to use in a casserole or baby food!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
After visiting a local steak house for lunch the other day, and ordering a side salad a sweet potato, (great light lunch combo by the way) I fell in love all over again with sweet potatoes.
I had forgotten how easy they are to bake in the oven as a side dish and knew my boys would love to have them added to the mix for weeknight dinners.
But if I’m making a weeknight dinner, you better believe I want to save time. So when I decided to experiment with cooking sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, I was so excited to cut the time in half and STILL have delicious, fluffy sweet potatoes!
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker
It really is as easy as you think!
With or Without Steamer Basket
Since I have an Instant Pot for a pressure cooker, I use the steamer basket that I bought to go with it. However, if you want to cook them without the steamer basket, you can use the trivet that came with yours if you have one, or something similar.
TIP: It’s best to have something inside like the steamer basket or trivet to elevate the potatoes, so they don’t sit on the bottom of the pot. You want them to evenly steam.
Small Sweet Potatoes
I recommend grabbing small sweet potatoes from the grocery store, because the bigger they are, the harder time you’re going to have trying to cram them into the pressure cooker.
That’s it! That’s all you’ll need. Two ingredients.
- sweet potatoes
Pressure Cook on HIGH for 20 Minutes
You can find the full recipe card below to print/pin for your future reference, but I wanted to share tips/photos along the way in case you like to follow along closely like I do when browsing recipes online!
Add 1 cup of water to the inside of the stainless steel pot of your Instant Pot (or pressure cooker).
Steamer Basket: If you’re using a steamer basket, place the 4 washed potatoes inside of the basket and lower into the Instant Pot.
Trivet: If using a trivet, place it in the bottom of the Instant Pot and place the washed potatoes on top of the trivet.
Place and secure the lid on to the pressure cooker, adjust the steam release handle to “sealing” and select to pressure on “high” and set the timer to cook for 20 minutes.
When the timer reaches “0”, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure. (This took 10 more minutes for me.)
When the float valve lowers, it is safe to remove the lid and serve the potatoes how you wish!
Safely Remove from Instant Pot
The sweet potatoes will be HOT so use tongs or my favorite heat resistant gloves to remove them from the Instant Pot, and when handling to cut in half!
Toppings for Sweet Potatoes
If you want to serve your sweet potatoes by cutting them in half and topping with your favorite toppings here are a few of our favorite topping ideas:
- brown sugar
- marshmallows or marshmallow topping
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Now, if you prefer mashed sweet potatoes, you can definitely keep things quick by using the Instant Pot or pressure cooker too!
- Wash, peel and cube your sweet potatoes in to about 1-in cubes.
- Add one cup of water
- Place cubed potatoes in a steamer basket or right inside the pot with the water.
- Seal, and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- This time, manually release the pressure. (CAREFUL WITH THE STEAM.)
- Drain your potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand mixer or potato masher, along with butter (I like to use about 3-4 Tbsp), cinnamon and brown sugar to taste (maybe a little salt if not using salted butter) unless you’re planning on using the mashed Instant Pot sweet potatoes for a sweet potato casserole, or one of our favorite ways to use them in Sweet Potato Casserole Bread Pudding or Sweet Potato/Butternut Squash Pancakes
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love:
- How to Use an Instant Pot (How to Cook Chicken Breasts)
- Amish Potato Salad in the Instant Pot
- Chicken and Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Kielbasa and Cabbage in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Pot Roast (From a Frozen Roast!)
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Cheeseburger Macaroni in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker
- 4 Small Sweet Potatoes Washed
- 1 cup water
- Add one cup of water to Instant pot
- Put potatoes in steamer basket or on trivet.
- Set to "pressure cook" on high and set timer for 20 minutes. (May take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure. May need to pressure longer if using LARGE potatoes, however, large potatoes wouldn't fit in my pressure cooker.)
- When the timer is up, allow to natural release. (This can take about 10 minutes)
- When the float valve goes down, safely remove the lid.
- Sprinkle with butter and cinnamon/sugar if desired!
If you love easy recipes, then you definitely don’t want to miss all of the quick and easy recipes here on Fantabulosity!