Venison Chili – One of the easiest ground venison recipes made on the stovetop or slow cooker, that will become a staple in your home when you have a freezer full of deer meat!
We love chili around here, AND deer meat.
So before we dig into this venison chili recipe, you may also want to check out these favorites here:
How to Make Deer Chili
If you’re ready to get started on this venison chili, you can find the full recipe at the bottom of this post. However, I LOVE to show you process photos too in case you like to follow along visually like I do, when making a recipe I find online!
Want Slow Cooker Venison Chili?
The recipe process below will show you how to cook on the stovetop. However, if you’re planning on making this in the slow cooker… here is what we recommend:
• Cook the bacon, venison, onions, peppers, and garlic together in a skillet over medium-high heat until the venison and bacon is cooked through.
• Add it to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
• Cook on high heat for or on low heat for
For the Stove-Top:
First, you’ll chop up your bacon and cook it over medium heat in a large pot for about 10 minutes until done. (Or longer if you prefer a crispier bacon in your chili.)
Add your onion, garlic and bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
Then, add the ground venison until venison is no longer pink.
Stir in the chili powder, cumin, onion powder and salt until the meat is evenly coated.
Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili beans, and kidney beans.
Stir in the brown sugar…
Bring to a boil and reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes!
Doesn’t this look amazing?!
Venison Chili Tip
If you’re using 100% ground venison, you’ll want to keep all of the bacon grease that cooks out. However, if you are using processed venison, drain the bacon grease because beef or pork may have been added to it during the process, giving it the fat that this recipe needs.
- 12 oz. thick sliced bacon
- 2 lbs. ground venison
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- .5 tbsp salt
- 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can hot chili beans or mild if you're not in to "hot"
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Chop bacon into small pieces.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, cook bacon about 10 minutes (you can cook it longer if you prefer a crispier bacon).
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook vegetable together with the bacon for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground venison and cook until the venison is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, onion powder and salt until the meat is evenly coated.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili beans, and kidney beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Side Dishes for Venison Chili:
If you’re looking for something to serve alongside this deer chili recipe, you love these:
Caprese Grilled Cheese
Love Hearty Recipes?
Then you’ll LOVE these recipes. Add them to your favorite Pinterest board or to your weekly meal plan this week!